Light-O-Rama Forums

Is it patriotic to LOR 1812 Overture?

Dale W

Written to celebrate the Russian victory over Napoleon, it has nothing to do with US history. Is it patriotic?

Or should we continue to promote it simply because of pre-established traditions?

It's played VERY frequently for 4th of July concerts, so for whatever reason you feel like calling it, I think it would be a great piece for a July show. Personally, I love that piece of music.

The only real issue I would see is how much of the song to use. The entire piece is 15 1/2 minutes long. The "loud" part is about 3 1/2 minutes so that would be the logical part to sequence. As with most orchestral music, there is not a strong beat which makes sequencing a bit harder (don't I know it - I'm sequencing an orchestral piece right now).

It wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out that, except for the French, there might not be too many other people that really mind that he got his butt kicked.  

As far as I'm concerned, it's a fine piece of music to sequence.

Where there's not a strong beat, stretch-to-fit paste option makes it easy to sequence to events rather than beats.

I did this for my show this year and i did the whole piece, 15.68 mins worth, luckily i've played drums for most of my life and know the different time siggs that go with the piece.

The Drum corps that i used to march with played this piece for our show so it was kinda easy for me to sequence for me.  besides if someone doesnt like what you put up for them to see then they can keep driving by, Most will like it.

Just my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was locked