Light-O-Rama Forums

Lighting up jack o lanterns

Drac

Hello all,

As part of my Halloween display there will be five jack o lanterns that are going to be the "chorus".

Now I can just get some light fixtures and run them out but that is a whole lot of overkill on the wattage.  Before this I used battery operated strobes but can't wire those into the LOR.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

7W bulbs x 5 pumpkins = 35W.

That's far and away going to be the simplest (and probably cheapest) solution if you have available LOR AC circuits. I believe that you can get LED candelabra bulbs, which might save a couple of Watts, but not that many. However, I've found that LEDs don't do "candle-like flicker" as well as good old night-light bulbs. 

If you've already got Pixels in your arsenal, you could put an RGB pixel (or a few for brightness, if needed) or an RGB module in each pumpkin. (That's what mine are moving to.)

-bph

Nope, no RGB this year.  Just the basic pieces.

I do need them to be dimable so unfortunately I can't go completely bargin basement :D

Jim

I have 12 plastic pumpkins, I bought c9 retrofit replacement led bulbs from CDI and put 3 in each pumpkin one green and two red which makes a nice orange when combined with the interior of the pumpkins.   I also do the same for the ones the kids carve, but those get a background "flicker" sequence and are always lit.