Light-O-Rama Forums

What level to start this year with

Drac

Good day all,

Ordering the software today and I had a couple questions.  Since, unlike so many other places, LOR has a great way to up grade without having to buy the whole package over again I wanted to know what I am choosing.

Right now the plan is 2 controllers using standard incan and led strands.  I am "tweaking" a bunch of sequences shared by your generousity.  Probably going to be 30-60 minute shows.  No RGB, radio or midi.

Obviously I could get by with the Basic and Avance seems a bit of an overkill since I don't need DMX.  The main differences between Plus and Standard are -

Background Sequence

Startup/Shutdown Sequences

Now outside of DMX Avance does offer -

Sub-sequence

User Interactive Shows

Full Advanced Show Builder vs Limited

Full Screen Video Playback

Not sure what some of these bring to the table.  If I could get some info to make the right choice?

Thanks,

Jim

I started with the basic software and have added as I needed it.  Five years after starting I am up to Advanced with 24 CCR.  I figured it did not cost anymore to do it this way and it extend my license each time for another year for upgrades.

I agree with the above.  Start with the basic.  You can always upgrade at any time if all of a sudden you decide to do something that requires a higher license. 

I agree with the above.  Start with the basic.  You can always upgrade at any time if all of a sudden you decide to do something that requires a higher license. 

Trying to remember but I don't think basic includes the uses of the beat wizard, maybe I'm wrong but it's a very helpful tool

I thought I might as well link the table that compares the levels of software.

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-software/

We personally started out with Standard (After Demo) and just this year we upgraded to Advanced so we could run DMX. 

Standard is good for startup and shutdown sequences which we used mostly because some of the lights were staying on at the end of the show. I don't remember if they fixed that but it might be good to look into that.

-Chris-

Edited by cgreenfield

I guess the question i would ask myself is, how bad did I get bit by the Blinky Flashy bug? I know my first year, I went for the full advanced license. This hobby I have found has enough loose ends around to keep me chasing my Tail for days. I also run DMX Accent lighting during the year.

I went with Basic Plus to get the Beat Master.  Waiting on the adapter to be able to hook up the laptop and been working on sequencing my 1st song.

Hope to do a test run of the controllers next weekend.

Thanks,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Oh how familure this sonds.... That damn bug bit me 2 years ago... I hope you have another means of income, because the venom of this bug creats this urge to buy more every year.... If I didn't have so many other bills, I would be up to 32 chanels. maybe this year... wroking on buying a second hand controler...... It is way more fun then someone should be aloud to have. Watching the faces of people when they see the lights is probobly the best pay off.  Start with Basic.... it will take this year of building a show for you to figure it out, then next year prob upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

3rd year now... It seems like only yesterday... And Now Christmas in July seems appropriate.... :P

First Year, 2 Controllers, Basic addition...

Second Year, 4 Controllers, Basic Plus...

THis year... Well... 8 Controllers, RGB, DMX.... 128 Channels +++..... Just bit the bullet with Advanced....

The beauty of LOR is that it can grow with your Obession "hobby" as you need it.... :rolleyes:

Good thing the wife love this as much as I do......

• Like 1