Light-O-Rama Forums

Summer sale?

mavrick331

This year's Spring sale was different.

Lots of controllers and you could still buy them the next morning!

That is because more folks are starting to sell off their controllers & are going rgb. Or they are not buying controllers & are buying rgb stuff.  I read where folks sold everything & then with the money bought rgb stuff.  I am starting to go in this direction myself. Rgb seems to be the direction this hobby is heading.

Edited by lightzilla

Go watch a purely RGB display.  Then watch a display with string lights.    You'll find the RGB's often lack the ability to hold your attention due to lack of numbers of lights.  There is something to be said for a "Full" display.  One that fills in the dark spots, has elements that whirl, twinkle, fade and shimmer.  There is just something about "Numbers" that makes a display good and make you go WOW. 

An RGB matrix is cool and so are other elements, but it can't be the only part of the show.  You need the filler that the string lights provide.  For that reason you will always need controllers for string light systems. 

RGB is a "Part" of the future of Christmas, but cannot be the ONLY future of Christmas.  We will always need LOR controllers.

Putting the soap box away.

• Like 1

I was curious how long it would take for this subject to come up...I feel a mix will always be more visually engaging...

Dave Stoler

Well said Matt. I will always keep tradition lights in my display and use Rgb for more focal wow factors.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread.  I just wanted people to know that despite what trends we may be taking in the hobby, some equipment types will always be needed.  LOR controllers will be one of those.  I don't know LOR's long term strategic business plan, but I think they will always have standard controllers as their bread and butter.  I don't want to see them go all RGB.  I've gone to many different displays, and watched hundreds and hundreds of videos.  I just find that people love light counts and dumb ole string lights help with that.

I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I didn't embrace RGB as I've been spending my spare time over the last two years working on designs for commercial grade RGB elements.  One of my products that I developed specifically for RGB actually has a pre-production run due back to me this next week.  I'm actually glad the summer sale is late, as it may allow me to spend some of the proceeds from that project on equipment at the summer sale. I need to stock upon a few boards for future projects.  It'll happen... eventually.

-Rainyoregonchristmas

Edited by rainyoregonchristmas

I just hope LOR will let us know one way or the other. If they don't intend to have a summer sale while disappointing I would understand, its just the not knowing that I believe is most frustrating.   Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I just hope LOR will let us know one way or the other. If they don't intend to have a summer sale while disappointing I would understand, its just the not knowing that I believe is most frustrating.   Fingers crossed.

Seems like LOR promised us a summer sale.  This was in the email that they sent us on April 1:

"Remember, If you do not get what you want during the Spring Sale, you will be able to get it during the Summer Sale. Prices will be a little higher BUT there will be unlimited quantities of stock. If you plan to grab something during the sale, Good Luck!"  (emphasis added)

I didn't mean to hijack the thread.  I just wanted people to know that despite what trends we may be taking in the hobby, some equipment types will always be needed.  LOR controllers will be one of those.  I don't know LOR's long term strategic business plan, but I think they will always have standard controllers as their bread and butter.  I don't want to see them go all RGB.  I've gone to many different displays, and watched hundreds and hundreds of videos.  I just find that people love light counts and dumb ole string lights help with that.

I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I didn't embrace RGB as I've been spending my spare time over the last two years working on designs for commercial grade RGB elements.  One of my products that I developed specifically for RGB actually has a pre-production run due back to me this next week.  I'm actually glad the summer sale is late, as it may allow me to spend some of the proceeds from that project on equipment at the summer sale. I need to stock upon a few boards for future projects.  It'll happen... eventually.

-Rainyoregonchristmas

I just don't like the more "techie" look of the RGB (especially strips).  String lights always say Christmas to me.

That said, I will have 32 pixels inside of elements that can diffuse them (like the one in the video below).  I also have strips, but they are mounted to elements (like stars and arches).  I also have RGB floods because (hell), they are just cool!

Be patient! I am sure there will be a sale.

I will have normal controllers for years to come.

I can't ever see me putting ribbons or pixels on all the elements I have in the yard.

I have to agree that a mix of different lights is also more pleasing. I would never want to go to a full RGB light show but I do find it funny that when I had incandescent lights I never thought I would eliminate C9's as thats all I remember. Every house had C9's and Blow molds. Then when  LED lights came out I thought I'd never use those but now I'm 100% LED!  I have pixels and ribbons and the ribbons have a place but like others have said I don't so much care for the absolute straight lines on the house. I'd rather use it on an Arch or a Mega Tree. 

I have to agree that a mix of different lights is also more pleasing. I would never want to go to a full RGB light show but I do find it funny that when I had incandescent lights I never thought I would eliminate C9's as thats all I remember. Every house had C9's and Blow molds. Then when  LED lights came out I thought I'd never use those but now I'm 100% LED!  I have pixels and ribbons and the ribbons have a place but like others have said I don't so much care for the absolute straight lines on the house. I'd rather use it on an Arch or a Mega Tree. 

Hey.................don't knock straight lines       :P  :D  :)

Just kidding..............I can take it ..........in my world there is nothing but straight lines!!!!!

Steve

• Like 1

Steve,

The Candy canes help to offset the lines!!!!!   Actually your display is well done....

Eddie Z

So, has anyone officially asked or is it all assumptions about the sale?

I just don't like the more "techie" look of the RGB (especially strips).  String lights always say Christmas to me.

That said, I will have 32 pixels inside of elements that can diffuse them (like the one in the video below).  I also have strips, but they are mounted to elements (like stars and arches).  I also have RGB floods because (hell), they are just cool!

eurbani, what is the size of that ball in the video? And where did you find them? I am looking for something that would be about the size of a snowball.

eurbani, what is the size of that ball in the video? And where did you find them? I am looking for something that would be about the size of a snowball.

These are about 8" in diameter. I found them at Walmart (last two Christmases). I also bought some from big lots that are about 3". The big lots ones came in boxes of 4 or 8, but were mixed with other colors that were no translucent.

Super! Thanks eurbani, will be looking into it.

Well this was different and interesting. I put in an order for a CTB16 kit, and Try For Free. IN the past years, orders that are also Try For Free usually shipped after everyone's elses order was filled. This year something is different. I ordered late Saturday and I just got today a tracking number. Are sales down or is the inventory high at LOR?

Anyone else gotten a tracker number?