Light-O-Rama Forums

Are you doing regular backups?

smeighan

Everyone: Are you doing regular backups of your sequences?

I am not sure how you make backups of your LOR sequences.

For xLights there is a built in backup command . "File, Backup" will backup every xml file you have. This will include all your sequences, your models, your SETUP info. It will only take 1-2 seconds. You can do a backup hundreds of times per day, if you want. You will find a sub-directory under your show directory called Backup. My show directory is C:\Vixen.2.1.1\Sequences so all my backups are located C:\Vixen.2.1.1\Sequences\Backup

I do backups to thumb drive and DVD on a constant basis. See here as to why. Just go down to my post.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/31706-lor-software-update/

You can store your sequences wherever you want. I have mine in directories by holiday and year. Example. C:/LOR/halloween2013/sequences.

I also have my superstar sequences in its own directory.

I save anything new on the thumb and then I save my years worth on DVD.

Every year you read the painful posts of people that have lost countless hours of work due to a computer crash! After every sequencing session I back up to a thumb drive, SD card and another computer.

I go old-school and put (some of) my backups on CD-R, although lately I've been using Dropbox with multiple computers.

DropBox to save me from disk crash, and more importantly to transfer to the show computer.  and CrashPlan for real backups to protect me from stupidity,  Overwrite a sequence, delete a directory etc.  If you have two computers Crash plan is free,  You can even host your friends backups.  So you could exchange backup space with another LOR user. 

With CrashPlan I can go back an hour, day, week, month, year...  

Edited by khawes

My normal routine goes something like this.  Both the show PC and my desktop are using a mapped drive on my server.  That is a RAID-1 protected drive so in the event of a single drive failure, I'm safe.  About once a week I backup the server to an external hard drive which is then taken to my office at work so in the event of a problem that takes out the server completely (house burns down, major theft, Sax's RansonWare, etc), the data is sitting somewhere else.  I have multiple external hard drives that are rotated so there are a couple older versions if needed.  Lastly, my LOR files are also copied to Google Docs after almost every sequencing session so they are off site at yet another location.  While I am sequencing, the file being worked on is saved with a new filename regularly with the date and time as part of the file name so it's easy to tell what is newer than what.  For example a file might be:

Hark the Herald Angles Sing 2014-06-30_2145.lms

I'll bet most of you can figure out exactly when that fictional filename was created.  Usually when I am completed sequencing for an evening (and happy with it) or the next session, I will delete the intermediate versions leaving only the last version of the night.

I have my installation for Lor mapped to a network drive that is on a Server that gets backed up. :)

Edited by kiplorenzo

• The topic was locked