Light-O-Rama Forums

5v vs 12v led pixels

prussell

The only way they could be brighter is if someone designs the circuit to  draw more than 20mA. But if you do this then they burn brighter, but for short period of time before failure. DISCLAIMER: yes there are LEDs designed to operate at higher current levels. We are only discussing standard LEDs like the 5050.

Now their a differences between 5V and 12V. Your 5V RGB strips risk more problems from the dreaded voltage drop. But at the same time, the 12V strips typically have 3 RGB LED per node so your resolution will be lower. Its a toss up depending on what you plan to do. Like a mega tree versus matrix.

12v is what I use ... 5v brings more issues but is more common in places like Australia .... 12v is easier to inject into cat5 over longer distances ... 5v often require re injection ... No thanks

12v is what I use ... 5v brings more issues but is more common in places like Australia .... 12v is easier to inject into cat5 over longer distances ... 5v often require re injection ... No thanks

Using 5v pixels works fine if you do it right.  Sometimes the cheapest way or the easiest way is not the right way... and that is where a lot of people get into trouble..  

Don't take the easy way out and don't cheap out on methods and you should be fine with either.....

I personally prefer 5v pixels. Yes power injection has to be done more on 5v but from my experience the failure rate on the 5v nodes is so minimal its worth it. I'm not sure why I have always had such bad experiences with 12v nodes but I have been using 5v for 2-3 years now on all of my show and absolutely love it. I've read horror threads of various 12v pixels that needed to actually have the power supply turned down to 9v or 8v or the pixels would fail rapidly etc. Not a huge fan of experimenting until I find the sweet spot that a manufacture made the pixels to so I just buy 5v pixels and give them 5v.

I am a fan of 12v pixels. I did have a couple go bad but still have problems controlling them over 15 feet. I don't have an issue using a Null pixel to make it work. I do waste a lot of channels in the universes but I do have a big yard to cover and its easier for me. I have zero power injection but that may change this year on the roof of the house.

Andy you stated you prefer the 5vdc nodes.  Do you also feel the same way about 5vdc LED  strips as opposed to nodes?  Same question Ron?

Thanks guys for your expertise!

Ralph: I don't use any strip. I hate them consistently 12v or 5v hahaha however DougD is the man when it comes to strips. He has a ton of them and would be the best to advise on what he has had the most luck out of. I will see if we can get him to chime in.

Max: Dodge! :P

Jeff: You crack me up. You saw me and Doug go 80ft with the same controller on 5v and 12v. Its gotta be those pixels man. I wouldn't recommend it but you saw us do it while playing with distances, and voltage drop. Just sayin. ;)

Ron: I sent you that PDF and some pics last night you needed. Let me know if it didn't go through.

When it comes to strips I prefer 12 volt to 5 volt. I have had a few problems with 5 volt strips, they seem very touchy when soldiering on them. I have had zero problems with 12 volt strips. Nodes, i use mostly 5 volt and they have worked out very well.

When it comes to strips I prefer 12 volt to 5 volt. I have had a few problems with 5 volt strips, they seem very touchy when soldiering on them. I have had zero problems with 12 volt strips. Nodes, i use mostly 5 volt and they have worked out very well.

The voltage of the strip should have no bearing on the soldering... They are all made the same... some are older than others and may have oxidation issues.. but other than that.. there should be no difference..

What am I missing here. Doug you seem to like 12v over 5v till the last sentence. Then seems you switch your mind and say that the 5v strips worked out very well. Which is it Doug? And I agree, the voltage of the strip should have nothing to do with the soldering. Unless your solder joints are cold.

Well when it comes to nodes I have used mostly all 5 volts. They are several dollars cheaper and I bought almost 100 strings last year, so I did it to save some money.

I had quite a few 12 volt strips and they have been rock solid for me. This year i built numerous props out of 12 volt strip, didn't have the first problem.

Last year my fans were 12 volt strips, this year i wanted to change them to 5 volt. I would take a 5 volt strip, every pixel would light. I would cut after 32 pixels, test again, those 32 pixels would light, i would then soldier some wires to the end and the beginning of the next 32 pixels, several times when doing this either the 32nd pixel would not output or the first pixel of the next 32 wouldn't work. This happened many times in the process of making 32 spokes of 32 pixels for my fans, needless to say it was quite frustrating. I did fanally get all 32 done but not before losing a few more hairs on my head, there are not many left anyways.

Maybe it was my technique, but it didn't happen one time when making all my 12 volt props.