Light-O-Rama Forums

Mental block

paralegalnc

so this year is supposed to be "Cartoon Christmas".  Husband picked the songs... and frankly, I cant get into it.  I don't like the songs and I am having mental block.  I even bought 2 more controllers... I know everyone else will like the song... especially the kids.... why can't I get into it. !!!

As simple as it sounds, do it for the kids. Start with assigning the beat channel and getting it synched to the music, then go from there by turning on one circuit to the beat. I know you'll suddenly start picturing your display lights, props and fixtures coming on to the song. Start with the "beat", it'll come to you

Sometimes songs grow on you the more you hear them.  I've had that happen with songs chosen by clients.  Other times, I've had to just grit my teeth and trudge through it.  Usually the song won't look as bad to others as it looks to you. 

You could always try to take the reasonable approach and explain to hubby that you're going to barf all over the keyboard if you have to listen to the song one more time.  Then do it.  That should get his attention and maybe he'll show you some mercy.

Or you could compromise by selecting a number of songs that DON'T suck, and then let him choose from among those.  

Some ideas for Kids

Hippo for Christmas

I'm Gettin' Nothing for Christmas

Jingle Bells by dogs

Chipmunks Christmas

Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

Some ideas for Kids

Hippo for Christmas

Jingle Bells by dogs

Chipmunks Christmas

I did "in summer" from frozen for my son

Some ideas for Kids

Hippo for Christmas

Jingle Bells by dogs

Chipmunks Christmas

If you're looking to do Chipmunks, check out Bob Rivers' version from the album "Chipmunks Roasting Over an Open Fire" - it's frickin' hilarious.

Try starting off with "Nuttin' for Christmas" by the Plain White T's. I did that one last Christmas, the beat is pretty fast...only took about 4 hours to sequence 16 LOR channels, 5 RGB floods, 32 RGB elements, and an 800 pixel tree.

well the concept is that the cartoon video will be playing on the screen while the lights are going... "holly jolly Christmas", Heat miser (here's where I might barf, can't stand that song but its his favorite), put one foot in front of the other, frosty the snowman, Santa clause is coming to town......

I just have to make it through... we are getting all the controllers out...counting up channels... getting new props... getting lights out... so maybe that'll make it better... to actually see them blink...thats my favorite part.  I'm kinda intimidated by a spiral tree this year... so if anyone has sequences for them... please pass them on to me.... save me some time  :)

EARLE W. TALLEY will be the Spiral tree Guru to check with. George Simmons is the person who got me started a couple of years ago. He shared a section of spiral sequencing with me and I ran with it. Might hit him up if he's willing to share.

George.....Buddy,...... got anything for a spiral tree? regular lights..not the cool ribbon trees or nothing

I had that issue last year - was all set and determined to do "Spirit of the Season" from Polar Express. Great piece of music, would look great on a CHristmas show except ...

I had a total block when it came to sequencing it and could not bring up anything productive. After a good few hours of copy and paste, I came to the conclusion that for whatever reason, it wasn't going to work for me and I gave up - incorporated two other songs instead. Sometimes, you can't force the creativity.

If it's just the one song blocking you maybe you could leave it out - or better yet hire someone to sequence it for your house for you. Sounds like you've some pretty solid suggestions here too though so hopefully one will work for you - good luck with it! :)

First... thanks for all the advice.  I got past it.  Got one song done already.  I guess it was just sitting down with my husband and finalizing the plan. not having it finalized means more work later with changing.  I guess my subconscious knew that.  Now it's all good.  And though I know people have someone else sequence for them.... my question is why??  it's alot of work... yes it is... but I did that.  when the lights go and people think something is cool... or it turns out JUST like I pictured it in my head...  did that.  I could buy sequences... but the reason I got into this addiction er, hobby, is to create my own stuff.  Now I do take patterns from people... mainly to see how it is done.. and modify them to my needs.. I again thank everyone....

• 4 weeks later...

can you share how your spiral tree looks and was made. I'm also interested in having a spiral tree made this year and also using regular lights.

Edited by litedanite

Mental blocks and boredom always seem to get the best of me. I always feel challenged when designing and building new props, but when it comes to sequencing I get bored. So what I have done over the years is built kind of a brag wall in my garage which is newspaper clips and pictures of my house but best of all is the thank you letters and notes people leave in my donation box. When I need motivation I go out and read those and it really helps. I myself will not sequence a song I don't like but I also choose all of the songs because no one else wants to help me sequence.