Shaved hours off of Sequencing with LOR II, Thanks Dan!!!

tallan

First of all I would like to thank Dan and all those at LOR (Beta testers included)

I must say this is a very nice update. Well worth the wait.

Well I had no issues what so ever installing it. Everything was smooth for me.

After poking around with it I could save at least 2 hours on 1 item alone, the VU wizard.

I laid down a snare/bass drum track on a sequence last week and I bet that took at least 2 hours and maybe even 3 or 4, after loading it up in LOR II and playing with the VU settings it took all of 5 minutes and laid down some drum beats I missed as well.

Very sweet feature!!! :dude:

SO anyone else see any time saving features? I need to know as I convert to LOR II this eveing. ;)

Thanks,
Ted

I too think that the VU wizard is great. The feature for me that made things a lot easier was the background image in the animation screen. I have been having a hard time visualizing how things would look.

Thanks,

Rob

Being able to move channels is a HUGE plus and a big time saver.

The old method was to create a new channel where you wanted it, copy and paste the old channel to the new, and then redraw that channel back into the animation window. It tooks hours if you were trying to move a lot of channels around, now it is just a few mins.

Hey Richard,

Ah thats great! I haven't really looked at that but I do have a Mega Tree this year and I may move them around so it is lined up by color. Is that something most of you use them for?

Man, now that I think about it that would be nice to have the tree lined up by color.

Thanks again,
Ted

The Beat Wizard is dead on. I've been using it to define different beats in new tracks I set up. You can have it set the tempo lines at 2x, 3x, 4x ... up to 10x faster than the beat. Or you can have it define them slower than the beat - but I haven't done that one yet.

Then, before exiting the Beat Wizard, you can tell it to turn on channels every 'so many' beats.

This has saved me a lot of time.

I haven't messed with the VU Wizard. What is it supposed to be for? What does VU stand for?

Amie wrote:

I haven't messed with the VU Wizard. What is it supposed to be for? What does VU stand for?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VU_meter

I was playing with it tonight. I had turned my 24 mini trees into a stereo VU meter (just in the animation window -- nothing is fully wired yet). Something that would have taken hours in LOR 1.6 took me about 10 minutes in LOR II. That said, I'm not sure how "cool" the VU meter effect would be for long periods of time, but I could sure see using it for bits and pieces...

Uh oh I feel a feature request coming on... I made my 12-segment (x2) stereo meter by making 24 separate "applies" in the VU wizard. Wouldn't it be cool if there were an option that said "create a meter with these channels", let you select a channel range, and did this all for you? :)

-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

Wouldn't it be cool if there were an option that said "create a meter with these channels", let you select a channel range, and did this all for you? :D

I'm hoping to add some things like this to the VU Wizard, and also to the Beat Wizard, to make them a little more automatic and flexible.

Tim Fischer wrote:

I made my 12-segment (x2) stereo meter by making 24 separate "applies" in the VU wizard. Wouldn't it be cool if there were an option that said "create a meter with these channels", let you select a channel range, and did this all for you? :D

-Tim

I haven't used the vu meter yet, either, but let me ask a stupid question. When you say you did 24 separate applies, how did you get the tiered effect of the vu meter, meaning.. how did you avoid all 12 channels coming on at the same time vs coming on at different sound levels as a true vu meter... is there a threshold setting in the vu wizard?

Tim Fischer wrote:

I made my 12-segment (x2) stereo meter by making 24 separate "applies" in the VU wizard. Wouldn't it be cool if there were an option that said "create a meter with these channels", let you select a channel range, and did this all for you? :D

-Tim

I haven't used the vu meter yet, either, but let me ask a stupid question. When you say you did 24 separate applies, how did you get the tiered effect of the vu meter, meaning.. how did you avoid all 12 channels coming on at the same time vs coming on at different sound levels as a true vu meter... is there a threshold setting in the vu wizard?

Yeah. You can select left, right, or combined. Then once you've selected that, you drag the little black "peak" slider to where you wanted it. So I started it on the high side, applied it to left and right on separate channels, nudged it down, repeated, for 24 applies.

Incidentally, my lowest-threshold channel was about exactly at the halfway point of the slider, and it was still on most of the sequence.

-Tim

Hey Tim,

I had thought of doing something like that as well but i don't have the channels as yet. I was thinks more along the lines of the winamp display but just a VU would be neat as well, saves on channels too!

Just wondering how did it turn out? Or do we have to wait for the Video? :D

Ted

tallan wrote:

Just wondering how did it turn out? Or do we have to wait for the Video? :D

Unfortunately we're probably going to have to wait for 2008. I was just playing in the sequence ediitor -- although my display is mostly up, I still haven't finished wiring up the LOR comm network so I couldn't test it light.

And since I discovered last night that X-10 isn't properly working in LOR II, I had to abandon all LOR II efforts, unfortunately.

There's always next year...
:?
-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

And since I discovered last night that X-10 isn't properly working in LOR II, I had to abandon all LOR II efforts, unfortunately.

Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't know that, gonna be a problem for me too. What exactly is the issue?

Tim Fischer wrote:

Amie wrote:

Ahhhhh, Volume Indicator, Thanks.

I just programmed my 8 chaser trees and it looks great. There's no way I could have done that by hand.

bhays wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:

Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't know that, gonna be a problem for me too. What exactly is the issue?

X10 works in the Hardware Utility and the Sequence Editor, but not (always) in the Show Player. However, we expect to have a fix out very very soon.