Light-O-Rama Forums

Who's going to the Christmas Expo this year?

tbetgeorge

Hey guys! Just wondering who's going to the Christmas Expo this year? I plan on going - just having trouble finding a flight under $500... Has anyone gone and can vouch for it being worth the flight/hotel/time off etc? I've never been but I think it would be cool to hang out with fellow nerds :)

- Tom

I often go two weeks without anyone even noticing I'm at work, so that wouldn't be a problem for me. :(

I was asked to do a class on sequencing and we were planning on road-tripping for a lot less than the cost of three controllers, er, I mean $500.  But alas, family obligations I learned of after initially accepting forced me to say no thanks for this year.  I've never been to Expo so I can't vouch for anything, but hanging around with fellow "extremes" is always a good time.

Check on flying into New Orleans instead of Biloxi. That might reduce the airfare a bit.

Mostly the benefit is networking, but this year, the curriculum is second to none. We just hammered out the schedule yesterday and updates will be announced in the next day or so.

Historically speaking, this will be the best and most diverse Expo event I have ever attended.

Tough to say if you can justify it or not. I have always made it a priority to attend a national or larger event to meet and talk to folks in person. I think the experience is invaluable.

I'm going. First time! Even teaching a little class.

Edited by jstorms

Check on flying into New Orleans instead of Biloxi. That might reduce the airfare a bit.

Mostly the benefit is networking, but this year, the curriculum is second to none. We just hammered out the schedule yesterday and updates will be announced in the next day or so.

Historically speaking, this will be the best and most diverse Expo event I have ever attended.

Tough to say if you can justify it or not. I have always made it a priority to attend a national or larger event to meet and talk to folks in person. I think the experience is invaluable.

I looked at flying to New Orleans and it was only about $100 cheaper. For that price, I'd rather not have to deal with renting a car or public transportation to go that far both ways etc. I finally caved in and bought a ticket last night! Why not, right? See you all there!!!

I am going too. Flying into New Orleans Wednesday Afternoon and driving to Biloxi will be good to see some scenery. If anybody else is flying in Wednesday afternoon and want to carpool to save some money. Message me. 

I'll be there. Teaching a couple of classes too.  Looking forward to it. I'll be teaching Audacity music editing and Zara Radio. If there is anything in particular you want to know about pm here.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I am going to attend for the first time since it has been turned over to another company.  It will be interesting to see if there many vendors at the show, like there used to be.  There are not too many classes for the ladies that like to decorate inside, but at least there is plenty of shopping around. 

Jerry,

You are not going to be disappointed! The list of vendors seems to have topped out at 18, and I don't think there are any stragglers, but we will have about 3 weeks to go. Here is the current list:

http://www.christmasexpo.com/exhibitor-list/

As far as inside decorating classes. That was in the planning, but we were not able to get anything scheduled, sorry about that. The line up however, is outstanding.

A little birdie whispered in my ear that there is another big announcement coming though.........

Edited by zman

I'll be going and I'm driving from Cincinnati! Had fun last year and this year looks better. I just wish the classes didn't overlap as much as I would love to take a couple that are scheduled at the same time!

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't go due to schedule conflict, but that changed yesterday. Booked my flight and hotel....so I'll be there. Finally nice to meet some of the LOR family!!

I couldn't go due to schedule conflict, but that changed yesterday. Booked my flight and hotel....so I'll be there. Finally nice to meet some of the LOR family!!

Look forward to meeting you!

I went last year and had a ball, this year I can't because my oldest is getting married NOV 1st and we are on a tight budget right now, but next year I will. 

Kevin awesome. Glad to see you could make it. Call me when you get in. I'm at airport right now. ---Michael

Looking forward to seeing everyone again. This years Christmas Expo will be one for the record books!!