Light-O-Rama Forums

Controlling Laser System From LOR

Roger Leon Forbes

We are adding a Laser system to our 4th July display this year and want to do an LOR sequence then a video followed by a Laser Display. The sequence and video will be controlled by LOR of course then I want LOR to tell the Laser system to do one laser sequence. While the Laser is running I will let the LOR run a video or something, there will be 4 sequences, 4 videos, 4 Laser displays nd start over again on half hour.

My question is can I do a MIDI file from LOR to trip the Laser system? The Laser company said that there system would take a MIDI command to start and stop. Anyone have some input that can help me. Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Roger please email me at info@hitechlights.com for further assistance. Thanks.. Michael

Roger, I am sure Michael will give you some insight, but be careful in this area. You may already know some of this, but, depending on what you are using, some laser units are not legal in the US.

Also you may need to apply for a permit from the FDA and FCC. If you live near an airport you also have considerations etc...

Roger, I am sure Michael will give you some insight, but be careful in this area. You may already know some of this, but, depending on what you are using, some laser units are not legal in the US.

Also you may need to apply for a permit from the FDA and FCC. If you live near an airport you also have considerations etc...

More to it than that...  If you are using over 5mW you need a variance from from the CDRH and the equipment must also have one.  If the show is outdoors and you shine in any air space you need a letter of non objection from the FAA.  (Not FCC).

You must be in control of the laser at all times when in use.  That means you must have a way to shut it off immediately if the beam goes where it shouldn't or someone comes too close to it.  You can not have beams any closer to any access point than 2 meters vertical and 3 meters horizontal... (I may have the backwards, it's been awhile).  There are of course exceptions and variances.. I haven't looked at any of the codes in over 10 years but that is where they left off when I stopped doing shows. 

Lasers are fun and there is no other light like them.. but there are a lot of rules because they can be dangerous.. I know from personal experience....  So, be careful out there.

• 6 months later...

Sorry for delay in answering this post but just plain forgot I put it up.  Understand about the rules, I owned a Laser Light Company (LaserLights Unlimited, INC) for several years and still have my license from CDRH and none of that will be a problem.  I am using Paragon system this year that gives me around 18 watts to the scanners and for graphics and beams.  All beams are terminated with NO sky shots. We will not be doing Lasers except for Christmas week as our systems are out on road tours until the middle of the month.  I got the MIDI file problems worked out and it appears I will be ok if not I can always set the Paragon system to a timed start and stop.    

18 watts to the scanners?  Damn Boy, that's a decent amount of power..   My 171 was only 17 watts and by the time I got thru the PCAOM it was down quite a bit.... Love the SS lasers.. so much better.. got better after I left. 

Yes the 171 is a good laser but damn the power and water, 208 3 phase and 5 gals per.  Love the smaller units out now, the PCAOMs are good at cutting power. 

Edited by Roger Leon Forbes

The beam quality of the 171 is real hard to beat.. luckily I have 480vac 3ph at my home shop, so I can still play with it. but alas.. I haven't in years.. I really need to get it out and just play!   maybe next year..

I agree it can not be beat but in doing stage shows and doing remote setups the new small packs do great.  I have a couple 5 watt and also a 1.5 red that I blend for in house work.  Have a couple extra good 171's I would like to sale alone with some projector tables, cables, hose and everything,  make someone a real nice deal.  All are CDRH approved and permitted.   

I am trying to sell mine too.. I also have a Pythan that was doing 7 watts of white.. all the trimmings to do with em...   The new SS lasers are so hard to beat for ease of setup and use.. they are so small now that fiber remotes are no longer needed.. Ahh the good ole days... LOL

Good luck selling anything related to ion lasers.

I know of a guy who offered a nice SP laser for free, just pay shipping, so it would go to a good home. No takers.

It's amazing you can buy a full Class 4 self contained system for $1,500 and plug it into 120VAC.