Light-O-Rama Forums

Is there any way to use CTB16PC and 12V rope light

JeffDC1979

So I think I made a big mistake trying to make animated faces for this upcoming halloween. I purchased x4 CTB16PC's expecting to use 2 of them for my animated faces but I ordered 300 feet of 3/8th inch 12V rope light believing that I could somehow connect them to the LOR controllers... I am now starting to understand that I can not unless they are 120V rope light ... can someone confirm this for me? Is there any way to fix this issue that doesn't involve returning the 12V? I do have a DC controller as well but I got that to control dumb RGB pixels and such.

Anyways, I am a bit frustrated at the moment because someone that was helping me kind of led me down the path of getting 12V and I am nervous that they led me wrong. *sigh*

Thanks

I'm not going to say that I know for sure as many here have all kinds of different ideas that would probably make it work. If you use a wal-wart it may work. You would basically adding an adapter that converts the power from 120V to 12v, but I'm thinking there would be some lag....just a guess as I've never try this method. Personally I wouldn't go that route. I would either return the 12v rope for 120V if possible or get DC controller. If you can't return the 12v rope....maybe see if someone here wants to purchase so your not completely out. Hopefully someone here has a better suggestion.

It's possible to modify the CTB16PC to work with 12VAC. The tricky part is powering the LOR electronics, which can be done by isolating the input of the transformer from the output triac circuits.

Don't attempt this unless you have experience with this type of electronics.

There is no way possible to make the CTB16PR work with DC.

I am working it out with the company I bought the 12V rope lights from to switch them out for 120V - Thanks all for the advice!