Light-O-Rama Forums

Available FM frequencies

txstgeorge

I know there was a recent post on where to find the radio frequencies that are available to us in my area, but I can't locate that post. Can someone lead me to the correct site?

Also, I read on one site that you had to fill out all sorts of applications and stuff to be able to broadcast -- is that correct???

Thanks for any help!

However, the best method to determine a radio station that's free in your area is just trial and error. In the crowded airwaves of the Philly area, I found the site to be a little less than accurate. Maybe in a more rural location, you'll have better luck finding free frequencies.

And as was mentioned before, no paperwork is required. Just make sure that you don't broadcast over a range of 200 feet or so. Basically, that's about the range of two houses on either side of you. If the broadcast is fuzzy at best at the end of the street, you should be good. If you hear it on the other side of town, that's a no-no!

Another problem with low powered fm transmitters are those who use these same types of transmitters for their MP3 players while driving. A problem can be another person using your channel who is watching your display while listening to something vile. Others nearby hear the vile music (if you could call it that) and think what is wrong with your show. Sirius satellite radio transmitters were strong in the early years, some of these could transmit well over 500 feet. People see your lights flashing and they hear Howard Stern instead:(.