Light-O-Rama Forums

Keyboard Shortcuts

lkcubsrule

I completely rely on keyboard shortcuts for all the lighting effects. I almost never use the individual tools directly -- I say in the arrow/select tool and use the key shorts. Much faster for me...

There's a whole slew of things I'd like to see with keyboard shortcuts. I haven't explored LOR II enough yet -- but one of my biggest pet peeves in LOR I is that you can't close a dialog with the enter key... I always go into the tool settings screen, type a new value in for a fade, then have to go grab the mouse just to OK out... (not sure if this is fixed in LOR II but I hope so).

-Tim

Jeff Millard wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:
snip...but one of my biggest pet peeves in LOR I is that you can't close a dialog with the enter key...unsnip

-Tim

One of the testers got this going in LOR II and I'm so glad he did. Many of them default to Yes or OK now, and the escape key is Cancel. There are a couple that still act flaky IMO but for the most part it's much easier now to be able to type something Tab to the next cell type and hit Enter.

Jeff

Good deal. That's standard windows behavior (mac too for that matter) and I really miss it if it isn't there...

-Tim

One little addition: F5 refreshes the display.

This is typically useful during play - sometimes Windows temporarily takes the focus away from the Sequence Editor, and this causes the display of the sequence to blank out (the behavior of your actual lights is unaffected).

The display gets automatically restored when play shifts to the next page, but if you want to restore it before then, hit F5.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:
snip...but one of my biggest pet peeves in LOR I is that you can't close a dialog with the enter key...unsnip

-Tim

One of the testers got this going in LOR II and I'm so glad he did. Many of them default to Yes or OK now, and the escape key is Cancel. There are a couple that still act flaky IMO but for the most part it's much easier now to be able to type something Tab to the next cell type and hit Enter.

Jeff

I think I know what's wrong with the flaky ones, and I hope to fix them sometime soon. But in the meantime, if you come across a flaky one, please let us know which it is (what control on what dialog), so that we can get them all. You can PM it to me, or post it, or whatever.

To be clear, the typical "flaky" behavior is this:

If you edit a particular flaky field, and that field is the active one at the time that you hit "enter", your changes to that field are not picked up. Changes to other fields on the form are picked up.

An example is the "name" field on the "Change Channel Settings" dialog:

If you change the name, and hit return, the change does not take effect.

If you change the name, then hit "tab" to go to the next field, then hit return, the change does take effect.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

How about some shortcuts to play sequences?

Typical 'play' is the space bar for many video apps. Maybe something like:

'Space' Plays selected option for sequence

Alt + Space = entire sequence

Ctrl + Space = Visible sequence area

Shift + Space = Selected sequence area

Love the new features, but starting and stopping playing is still cumbersome. Or did I miss the keyboard shortcut?

Thanks again for the PDF.

I really would love to have user-definable shortcut keys.

I also use a number of audio and video editors where the ‘space’ key is ‘play’. If user-definable shortcuts would add too much code to the program I completely agree with mcdeo’s suggestions!

- Dave

The passing of the 2007 holiday season is bitter-sweet … but more bitter than sweet.

• 1 month later...

Some updates to this list:

• What's listed above for the space bar is now the enter key instead of the space bar.
  • The space bar now:
    • Starts play if play is not already happening, in either:
      • Freeform play mode if a freeform play range has been selected, or
      • "From Selection" mode if not, but a selection has been made, or
      • "Full Sequence" mode otherwise

[*]Stops play if play is happening

[*]During play, the "down" key marks the start of a freeform play range, and the "up" key marks the end of it.

• 2 weeks later...

The space bar now:

• Starts play if play is not already happening, in either:

• Freeform play mode if a freeform play range has been selected

I have been playing around with the freeform play mode. I selected a part of my mini tree track as my freeform play. It is nice to keep hearing that part of the song but how do you stop it doing it? I finished with that selection and wanted to do another on that same track but it would only play that selection. So I just selected another section which was fine. When I was finished with the selections I wanted to play the whole sequence and when I hit the spacebar to play the sequence it only played the freeform that was selected. Is there a way to clear the freeform or do I just have to use the play button from the toolbar?

One of my main gripes using S2 (LOR II) tracks is that each track retains its own memory of where it last was, which isn't always the desired behavior.

I'd like to be able to have S2 remember 'where I was' time-wise and hold that when I switch to a different track. This would be 'track time memory SYNC=on'.

I'd also like to be able to have S2 remember 'which channel range' I was working on. This would be 'track channel memory SYNC=on'.

It would be nice to be able to toggle one or both of these, so that when I switch from track 1 to track 3 ... it could recall my timeline positioning AND my channel range positioning.

I can't belive nobody has joined me in asking for this capability!

Wouldn't this be much better than re-navigating to the correct time-range and channel range each time you switch tracks?

ALso, a third 'nice to have' would be freeform selection memory between tracks. So if I had a freeform selection in track 1 ... I could again toggle a program setting so that it would remember my freeform range on all tracks I navigate to. Called this the 'track freeform range memory SYNC=on'

I think this would be way more than 'nice to have'. I would remove some big ineffeciencies in the current S2 workflow when using tracks ... but still allow current mode operation at well.

Please support or suggest improvements to these ideas, if you think these makes sense also.

I just went and played with my tracks and I noticed that I am always at the same time frame. If I am at 2:01.01 on track 1 then go to track 3 I am still at 2:01.01. Is this what you wish to change?

Go navigate to the 1:00 mark in track #1.

Now switch to track #2 ... your probably at the beginning of the sequence.

Now move track #2 to 2:00 mark.

Now return to track #1 ... your back where you left off at the 1:00 mark.

- - - -

Now say you make a freeform range in track 1 between 0:50 and 1:10 ...

- - - - -

Now move to track #2. Your still at 2:00 and no freeform range exists.

- - - - -

So I'm saying it would be nice to essentually "SYNC" these tracks in terms of time and channel navigation ... and also with the freeform ... so that I could switch between tracks and also stay in the same time-range, channel-range and maintain my freeform-range. All of these could individually be enabled or disabled ... think of them as inter-track synchronization options ... set in the preferences somewhere.

when I am in track 1 and go to the 2 minute mark all the other tracks move with it.

As far as the freeform it shows up on track 1 but not 2. This is odd that my tracks stay at the same time and yours does not.

• 5 months later...

mcdeo wrote:

How about some shortcuts to play sequences?

Typical 'play' is the space bar for many video apps. Maybe something like:

'Space' Plays selected option for sequence

Alt + Space = entire sequence

Ctrl + Space = Visible sequence area

Shift + Space = Selected sequence area

Love the new features, but starting and stopping playing is still cumbersome. Or did I miss the keyboard shortcut?

Thanks again for the PDF.
"
I agree, play sequences keyboard shortcuts would be VERY USEFUL!

"Space to play" has been added since this list was compiled. It's actually a little more involved than that, though - it plays from the current location, unless you have selected a "freeform play range", in which case it plays that range. Also, space will stop play.

For details, including what "freeform play range" means and how to select one, please look up "Freeform Play Mode" in the index of the help file.

I can put one together in the next few days. I don't know if I still have the file...! I'll just redo it.