Light-O-Rama Forums

Just an Introduction and shout out!

Mattmc1982

Hello, I'm Matt i'm new to the whole LOR universe and light sequencing hobby, its been a goal of mine for quite some time now, and I am now able to start investing in this hobby. I recently took advantage of LORs March Mad Grab sale and purchased a CTB16PC and a CMB24D, i am currently trying to find an afforable and easy housing for the RGB controller card and power supply. I have already purchased dumb RGB ribbons last year that i used on my windows and garage for halloween and christmas, i really enjoyed the light they produced so i wanted to incorporate them into the display and figured the CMB24D was the best way to go. I used one of my older ribbons that i had accidentially damaged when installing it (causing a few LEDs to loose a color one lost red one lost blue, but thats what happens when you accidentially hit it with the hammer while putting in the tacks, i then switched to screws a lot safer for the strips than me with a hammer) as a practice unit and actually cut the ribbon into smaller sections to play around with the sequencing software to what all it could do and work on color combinations, still trying to figure out what all it can do, if anyone wants to come over and give me lessons on this i'd be more than happy (only because i dont have the extra $$ for lights and the LOR classes) since this is my first year doing this, i was going to start small and try my hand for a simple patriotic display for the summer, Using the RGB ribbons to be red, white or blue, and then making an American flag out of the build your own sign kits from the hardware store and using the CTB16PC to control the stars and stripes to music, since its my first attempt i dont have high expectations, but want to get better before halloween when I hope to be able to use the dancing skelton kit from Holiday coro in my display, the only issue i have with the halloween display i want is how to integrate a cheap fog machine into the show to act a prop, I.E. blow smoke through a PVC pipe to simulate dragon smoke, or stage smoke like in a concert. still working out those kinks, havent started the christmas plan yet but i'm pretty sure its going to involve trees and snowmen...

Well thats my current plans and a breif intro, i hope to eventually work my way into the large displays i see that most of you have and look forward to all the custom DIY projects available.

P.S. I've seen what CCRs can do and eventaully i might venture into that but as for right now i just want to stick with the basic RGB ligts for my baby steps into LOR

I want to say welcome as well even though this is my first year. Just got my first load of stuff and I am getting excited. I should be getting the lawn mower and the flower beds ready but instead I am building leaping arches lol this is worse then drugs lol

I want to say welcome as well even though this is my first year. Just got my first load of stuff and I am getting excited. I should be getting the lawn mower and the flower beds ready but instead I am building leaping arches lol this is worse then drugs lol

If you're excited now, wait until you turn on the lights for the first time.

Welcome both of you to the wonderful addict.........er......I mean......Hobby, yeah, that's it, Hobby. "Once this path is taken, forever will it dominate your destiny"

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the addiction! Although I do not consider myself an expert, I have been doing my show going on my 5th year now. I would be glad to help as much as I can. I live in Anne Arundel county just south of Baltimore. Most of my display uses the 1602 A/C controllers but the last 2 years I have added 2 CCR's. I have not used the dumb RGB strips yet so I'll ask the forum for tips on that in a bit. PM me and we can see if I can help you. I have been to two Jumpstart classes and several classes at the Christmas Expo last year. Before I learned how to sequence I used the starter package and the 5 pack of songs and sequences. The first year people will be amazed by it and won't care that you didn't actually program each and every flash or fade. Especially your family and friends. But as your show grows and you learn to sequence yourself you will have the effects more taylored to your display. Also you may want to check out the get together in DE, I think it's called NJ PLUS. It's in another post here on the forum. I might go to that but I will be going to the VA mini next month in Ashland, VA.

Ok everyone, I use Superstar to program my CCR's and have never used SE for them. Since the Dumb RGB strips cannot morph or do sections or scenes how do you program them? I assume add device in SE below his 16 channel A/C controller. But after adding it will it be obvious to me in the lay-out as to how to define what colors and how to fade from one color to another? I appreciate any help both for Matt and myself if I am able to help him.

Thanks,

Al

I too am new to this. Addicted is an accurate statement. Building displays and programming sequences now......because we all know......Christmas is just around the corner!!

• 3 months later...

ok getting nervous, as i have not even started to put together a halloween display, andy advice on utilizing 16 channels of LOR with an RGB card for my dumb floods and ribbons (given i can modify the Floods properly) to make a decent display are appreciated. I have delusions of grandur where i wanted to have a stage of the 3 synchronized dancing skeletons and one singing face mouted above them. but do to the fact that the skeleton alone is 16 channels, I dont have enough for all that, nor do i have funds to get another controller yet.