Light-O-Rama Forums

How Has This Last Winter Treated You?

scubado

This last season has really knocked the wind out of my sail.  Lousy weather for set up and caused a two week delay in starting the show.  Take down also wasn't any fun with all the cold weather.  Thanks to global warming my 7' diameter globe evergreen froze to death, just finished removing it tonight.   I had several new plans for this year, but no confirmed source of extra income to fund the additions yet.  Loosing the bush has also created a new problem.  My display was about even with old school strings of light and rgb elements.  This year I'll be more RGB and the old school elements may look out of place.   So this year is looking like getting the landscaping revised and update my landscape lighting and doing a animated static display.

Another hobby that has also contributed to slowing down on the lights is, I now have a 180 gallon salt water aquarium.  Another not cheap hobby!  I've had plenty of success and some hiccups with it.  The tank is now fully stocked so hopefully I can start investing in some needed RGB leds.  My sequencing computer is in front of the tank off to the left so I can enjoy watching my fish while sequencing.  The problem though, I do more watching than sequencing.

I still have 2 feet of snow where the grass should be, so I'm slowwwwly collecting the yard items as the snow recedes. Brutal winter this year for snow, but it was warmer than usual so I guess the glass is half full for me.

Daryl B.

We were treated very very well this winter, unless of course you consider the worst drought in recorded history of the state..

I finally got all the stuff off the yard today I will get the rest tomorrow it has been a long long long long long winter and next week is suppose to be cold again :(

We got snow!!!! I was pretty stoked, but it didn't come until after the display was down:(

REALLY it was cool, we don't get much snow here, mainly rain.... (I got to shovel the walk five times in two days because of the white stuff and loved it!!!!!)

I loved my last 150 Gallon aquarium. It was beautiful once set up.

The day I sold it was a happy and joyous occasion.

I was lucky. I start building in October.

It was Sunny and in the forties on New Years Day and we were able to pull everything down.

We finished just before dark.

We didn't have much of a frost this year (maybe 1-2 nights with frost?).  But the constant cycle of a few days at 80, then a few days at 40 just about killed my avocado.  It flowered about 3 weeks too early, then got whacked with cold.  No fruit this year :(

Not to mention my poor heat pump is completely confused -- 2 days with AC, 2 days with heat, back to AC, etc.....

Luckily It didn't really snow and accumulate here until the first week of January, so the whole display was basically in the cellar before the snow hit. But it was a very cold winter, set up was much colder then in years past and tear down was very cold as well

Snow. Then rain. Then snow. Then rain. First time ever for water related glitches. Fewer visitors because of the weather too.

Not related to weather but Rollie and Dan suffered several servo failures in their second year. Rollie is out of surgery with metal gear servos in his neck and high torque servos mounted outside his head for his mouth and eyelids. Dan is scheduled next.

Mother Nature has finally unleashed her icy grip on the last of my decoration components.  Yesterday, I was able to coil up the last 2 remaining extension cords and pull up the last of the stakes on for the inflatables.  Having said that, if anyone is within driving distance I will happily donate my inflatables to them.  Never again will I go through the endless clearing of snow and ice on these cursed nylon nemeses (plural for nemesis?).

Mother Nature has finally unleashed her icy grip on the last of my decoration components.  Yesterday, I was able to coil up the last 2 remaining extension cords and pull up the last of the stakes on for the inflatables.  Having said that, if anyone is within driving distance I will happily donate my inflatables to them.  Never again will I go through the endless clearing of snow and ice on these cursed nylon nemeses (plural for nemesis?).

Drive them over to the factory.  I bet Dan and Mary would like something to brighten up the office on the off season.  Especially right now with all the orders shipping.  :D

Mother nature is an evil, heartless, frigid, b@?&h. Normally December isn't too bad for us, not this year, probably half the month below -30 C and probably 10 days of -40 C as well. January and February weren't much better. Usually when it gets that cold the snow doesn't fall but this year she didn't follow that rule either. Was out in -40 clearing snow off my shrubs and props before showtime on an almost nightly basis. I now know the only good way for a 10w flood to point is down. Oh the joy of trying to pickup change that has melted and frozen to the bottom of my donation bin at 11PM every night. Because I had to park my truck away from my house so folks could see the show I was not able to plug in the block heater, cold snap hit and truck froze up and I didn't have a vehicle for a week. Oh, did I mention snow??? We had so much of it this year, I've never seen it piled so high beside my driveway, usually a chinook will blow through in February and melt some of it and give us a brief reprieve from the cold but " no reprieve for you" ( soup nazi voice ). Ask pretty much anyone that lives anywhere in north america that has the chance to get significant snow/winter weather and they will tell you it was a bad winter. From you guys in the east with the power outages, a "polar vortex", whatever that is, to the folks in Winterpeg who can now say that they've never seen a colder winter on record than 2013-14 to my friends in the maritimes who were enjoying a good thaw and grass turning green then waking up the next morning to 2 ft of fresh pow-pow this was a winter to forget for most.

It was +15 C yesterday, due to the rapid melt a couple of my friends basements flooded, I can almost get at all my extension cords on the front lawn. I was able to get my CCR mega tree down and now am happlily working on the 10" glacier holding my backyard hostage so I can open the gate and move the tree into my backyard for safe keeping. The same glacier that has rendered my gate unuseable also migrated to my driveway during the cold snap. 6-8" thick of solid ice, I've been chipping away at it daily, I now can walk on it confidantly without thinking that I'm putting my life at risk by not holding onto something. I even took the vette out for a little spin around the block! Yes last winter was a bad one but looking forward to the next lighting season, it's gonna be awesome!

This last winter was a cold one... Even for Colorado. Not as much Snow as I would have liked, but we got a bit. Display goes back up at the end of August with 3500.00 in additions to the display this year.

Figured I would get the house done this year (except the roof) and next year totally tackle the yard and trees.

Winter???  I live in Central California- we didn't have a winter this year!  Its 90 degrees here today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was so late in building things that I got outside just in time for -10 degrees and snow for setup. I was so motivated to get done I somehow stayed warm. For take down I was freezing despite it being warming out. 6500' Colorado

• The topic was locked