Light-O-Rama Forums

NEW to RGB and have a few questions

crny1

Hello,

I am looking to get into the RGB world in a unique way but am confused a little. I have used and programmed the regular 16 channel boards for strings of lights with ease. Here is what I am looking to do and would like some experienced opinions on the best way of doing it. 

First off let me start off by saying I am a manager of a amusement company and we are looking to make a RGB circle sign. Imagine a giant ferris wheel with a 82" round sign in the middle of it. We want to use this circle as a sign for special effects and advertising. I know there will be LOTS of programming involved. This way we can advertise our company name and also the fair and festival that we are at. Because the sign is round would the cosmic ribbons work because if you ran the ribbons vertical or horizontal the edge ribbons would be very small and have to get progressively larger then back to smaller to create a circle. going square would not work in this instance. Or would it be better since its round to use the individual pixel bulbs? 

After that this is where i start to get confused on the channels and etc. Lets just say i use the pixel bulbs. They are sold in strings of 100 with a controller. and lets for conversation sake say that the sign would require 800 pixels to look right in our application to keep the pixels closer for a more smooth look. Do the controllers for each 100 link together? How many "channels" would that be? Is a controller for the 100 pixels 100 channels? I am clueless and was hoping someone could help me to understand how this works or point me in the right direction for learning how we can make this work. 

There is a company that is selling a sign for our specific application just like I have described but the cost is $23,000.00 This is alittle expensive and I think I can do this ALOT cheaper. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you on this.

Wes

The lor 100 count pixels come with the controller they all connect together with a cat-5 cable 100 pixel =300 channels 800 pixels =2400 channels

Ribbons would NOT be a good choice for your application.  You likely would  be creating a matrix  some number of pixels wide by some number high.  Each pixel will be 3 channels.  The number of pixels strung together would be controlled by your controller.  Power injection will likely be a requirement.  If your application uses 800 pixels that would be 2400 channels (3 per pixel) and at least 5 universe (max 170 pixels per universe (if your controller is a SPI controller)).  

If you are looking to setup 800 pixels, you might consider the Sandevice E682. A bit more initial setup and configuration work on your sequencing software, but much less expensive. It has 16 ports and can handle 7 universes so you would just need to purchase 16 strings of 50 pixels each and you wouldn't have to worry about power injection.

Seasonal Entertainment has a package deal going right now with 800 pixels, E682 controller, power supply, and enclosure...everything you need (hardware-wise) for right at 800 bucks. I just think this is a pretty good deal, unless you want to deal with purchasing directly from China.

....and no, I am not a representative of Seasonal Entertainment.

-Paul

The pixels from LOR would just daisy chain to each other. You would then use S3 software to control. Superstar addon would make life better. Each string of LOR pixels has it's on controller and power supply. No injection required. And you would have to daisy chain to each controller (8 for your setup) using standard CAT5 cable as well as supply power to each controller. Visualizer import is easier as you can import the entire set at once and strings of pixels have LOR macros built in making programming easier.

The sans device route would be run on an E1.31 network with LOR advanced software required. Superstar addon again recommended. You would then look at pixels and a power supply as well as a case to complete the project. (Of course the kit has all this). You would have a little more control on how many pixels each string consisted of since you program the controller as to type of pixels, length, etc. Visualizer import is tedious as you have to import each pixel but very do-able. Sans device does not have any macros.

The LOR route is probably less flexible but quicker to get up and running. Upgrading only requires the purchase of a new pixel system.

Sans would require more tinkering but is built for flexibility and customization. Upgrading the sans route is possible and cheaper than LOR route since you only need more lights depending on the initial power supply size.

Good luck with the project.

Sax

If you are looking to setup 800 pixels, you might consider the Sandevice E682. A bit more initial setup and configuration work on your sequencing software, but much less expensive. It has 16 ports and can handle 7 universes so you would just need to purchase 16 strings of 50 pixels each and you wouldn't have to worry about power injection.

Seasonal Entertainment has a package deal going right now with 800 pixels, E682 controller, power supply, and enclosure...everything you need (hardware-wise) for right at 800 bucks. I just think this is a pretty good deal, unless you want to deal with purchasing directly from China.

....and no, I am not a representative of Seasonal Entertainment.

-Paul

Paul. I just looked at this special at Seasonal Entertainment and this is a great deal for Smart RGB. Can the LOR software control the E682 and would I need any special adapter to connect it to my computer?

If I may interject here. This is the first year I'm doing smart pixels. I also bought from seasonal ent. They have been a pleasure to work with! I had one set that was missing a c7 cap, I jumped on their chat system, and they shipped out a new cap right away. So far, so good.

To answer your question, yes, the lor software (advance license) will control the e682. You don't hook it into the lor network though, unless you use an elor... Instead you hook it up to your network switch. Then it's all in the configuration....

Edited by Dan C

In a typical high speed internet in your house, you will have a cable modem,  that is connected to a router. Most home use routers have a 4 port switch built into them.  The router is what all your computers are connected to. either via wifi, or hard wired connection.     You can use the built in switch in your router to plug your E682 into.   If you don't' have a router, you can buy a stand alone unmanaged switch, Such as this one.  http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1005D-5-port-100Mbps-Desktop/dp/B000FNFSPY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397496709&sr=8-2&keywords=5+port+switch

This will allow you to connect your computer to up to 4 other devices.  -if you plan on adding more than 4 devices, you will need either a larger switch, or you can just add another switch to one of the ports on your first one.

hope that helps.

There are other ways to connect the sans to your LOR show computer. The sans manual shows you how and is a free download on their website.

For example, I am running my show with a computer that is not connected to my network and am simply plugging the sans direct into the computer network card.

For testing, I am able to plug my sans into any network connection that the computer I use for sequencing (different than the show PC) has access to. I have over 50 active network ports in my house and I can plug the sans into any one of those and control it. This is the beauty of e1.31.

All that is required in LOR software is to point the correct universe to the sans in network preferences tab by selecting e1.31.

Good luck,

Sax

• Like 1

OK... I am a little network savvy and believe it or not everything you guys shared make complete sense to me and now I just have to figure out which way I want to go with it. direct or network. thanks guys 

Edited by Box on Rails

• The topic was locked