Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Marty Fan "How-to"

Ron Boyd

I've had several folks ask how I built my 8 ft. starburst from 2013. I put together a quick how-to for an element I'm in process of building this year. This one is a Pixel Marty Fan, but the build concept is virtually the same, Just a half circle instead of a complete circle.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fel0narom0tlvp1/Pixel%20Fan%20Build.pdf

Here is a smaller burst I have already built for 2014. Sorry, I didn't get any pics for this build. With the above how-to, the burst should be easily accomplished.

https://vimeo.com/84608204

Edited by Ron Boyd

All of my sequencing is done in Superstar. If you're speaking of the Red, Green, Blue at the endhere's how to do it.

Well, I was going to try to explain it but, it's a little hard to explain, so I just created a quickie sequence. I included the exported .las file for those not using Superstar.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q50zlz8s2sggnp0/fvfPu6GSx6

I included the vis file because of how the thing is set up for Superstar. Superstar was written to handle a matrix. Since the burst is not a matrix, the user needs to tell Superstar how to handle the layout. If you look at each arm on the bursts, you'll notice a superstar string in the comments section, some are normal, some are reversed. One time setup.

You probably already know this but I put it in in case someone else looks and does not know how to use the Superstar keywords.

Enjoy

Thanks for the info Ron!

One question, it looks like you ave already waterproofed the ends with silicone. How are you going to wire them up? What kind of controller? How would you mount this in the yard?

Ok, maybe it was a few questions. Lol

Thanks.

Power into each leg, ground constant and data continuous from 1 to 136. They are not waterproofed yet, that's left over, from a different install. Either a Sandevices E6804 or a centralized P12S for all elements, except the two Pixel trees. To mount it, 1/2" EMT over rebar and bolted to the center for the bursts. Haven't figured the mounting for the fan yet.

Mr. Ron:

What controller did you use for your small starburst. I'm wanting to get into the smart strips and maybe do a Starburst like yours, but I am not sure as what I need to use as far as a controller. I was thinking that I would use 1 ea. 16 channel controller for both starburst. I was looking at the Holiday Coro Pixlite, but was told the the Tiny Pix was a better chose. II have only used LOR's pixels and controllers, so I don't know what I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

First, you won't be able to use the 16 Channel LOR Controllers. Those are for LED and Incan Lights. A totally different animal.

The TinyPix is an awesome little single universe controller. It is not E1.31 compliant, so you'll need a dongle. The Actidongle from Holiday Coro will work fine but any Enntec Pro compliant dongle will work. If you do 1 of these bursts, 1 controller will be enough. The burst is 17 pixels per arm and 8 arms. I was going to do 17 x 10 and use a full Universe but decided on 8 arms in the end. I had already cut the strips for 17 pixels so I ran with it.

2 Bursts will take 2 controllers and 2 dongles.

I will be running mine from 2 outputs of a Sandevices E6804. 95% of my show will be E1.31 this year. The only thing that will not be, is my 400 pixel matrix using CC Pixels. The E6804 can run 1190 Pixels from 4 outputs using Multicast and 2040 Pixels if using Unicast. I'll only be running 522 pixels total on this board. J1Sys makes e1.31 controllers too and I believe the Pixlite you mentioned is e1.31 too.

Using E1.31 for your pixels is an amazing deal. You will only have 1 Cat5e or Cat6 cord from your PC to all pixels in your display. If using a single controller set-up will look like this,

PC-->Cat5e-->E1.31 Controller-->Pixels

If using more than 1 controller

PC-->Cat5e-->Ethernet Switch-->Cat5e-->E1.31 Controller-->Pixels

-->Cat5e-->E1.31 Controller-->Pixels

-->Cat5e-->E1.31 Controller-->Pixels etc.

Still only one cord from PC for pixels.

Not using E1.31, you'll need a dongle and controller for each universe of 170 pixels. It gets messy if you have several Universes.

Study up on E1.31, use the tutorial above to build the burst and pick up an E1.31 controller to run them.

If your plan is to run 1 or 2 universes only, then go with the TinyPix.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at the Holiday Coro Pixlite, but was told the the Tiny Pix was a better chose. 

That really depends on what you want to do. The Tiny Pix only does a single universe as Ron said. That makes it good for very small pixel projects, but for anything larger you will need something with much more data capacity. The PixLite16 is an E1.31 controller that will do 32 universes of E1.31 data in either multicast or unicast. This means it can output up to 5440 pixels in total (370 per individual output.) 

Ok Reading this thread.  I have the Holiday Coro Active Dongle, and a few tinypix controllers.  But can't quite figure out how I put it all together.  Any help/advice would be appreciated.  I have also ordered the pixlite card but it's not here yet.  I'm just trying to figure out how I get the LOR S3 Advanced to talk to the ActiDongle and TinyPix controller. I think once I figure that out. I'll be able to proceed and do some additional self teaching but need a little help.

I'm waiting to receive my stuff. I guest I'll have to go on line and down load the drivers or some type of software to be able to use with LOR. I just need two universes at this time. This will be my first venture outside LOR products. I'm not even sure I'll be using the Holiday Coro products this year.

Ok Reading this thread.  I have the Holiday Coro Active Dongle, and a few tinypix controllers.  But can't quite figure out how I put it all together.  Any help/advice would be appreciated.  I have also ordered the pixlite card but it's not here yet.  I'm just trying to figure out how I get the LOR S3 Advanced to talk to the ActiDongle and TinyPix controller. I think once I figure that out. I'll be able to proceed and do some additional self teaching but need a little help.

This may help.

• The topic was locked