Light-O-Rama Forums

1/4 Speed Question

George Simmons

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to play the SE at 1/4 speed with audio?  And if so, what are your PC specs?

I've never once (since the first day of S2) been able to use 1/4 speed.  Half speed works just fine, but when I select 1/4 speed, it still plays back at half-speed.

Thanks.

Just tested it, though have never tried lower than 1/2 speed (may need 1/4 speed once I get old like you George :P), but 1/4 speed worked just fine.

Dell XPS 8500 Intel Core i7-3770 @3.40GHz 12GB RAM Win8 64bit

LOR S3 v3.8.2

The new versions of Windows Media Player do not support some speeds for some encoding types (or even encoders).  We tell WMP to play 1/4 speed, however if it can not it will revert to the next closest speed it CAN support - usually 1/2.  

It does this without notifying the program, so there is no error message we can pop up/etc.  Even if we ask WMP what speed it is playing at, it will insist that it is 1/4 speed - while happily playing the media at 1/2......

I have never been able to play anything at 1/4 speed since I started my light quest about 5 years ago. Computers have been Dells, Sony Vaio desktop and laptops and Gateway desktops. Operating systems from Win XP to Win 7, SE from 2.9 to 3.9.0, WMP from what was current 5 years ago to12.0.xxxx. There are a few occasions I wish I had it, but I only get 1/2 speed.

I have not been able to use 1/4 speed either.  The sequencer runs with out sound.  Works OK when set to half speed.  Windows XP multiple computers.  I always buy the fastest computer available with maximum ram when I buy because I have no patience. 

• Like 1

With some of the earlier versions of LOR I was able to run 1/4 speed as late as late last summer on any of my computers (some slow and some faster).  Now can not longer run at 1/4 speed (runs at 1/2 speed).  Hadn't checked it until this thread.  Bummed out, as i use it a lot for singing faces.

Again, it's not something we can do much about, since we are at the mercy of WMP.  The best thing you can try is to move up to version 3.10.x or higher and allow your sequence to use internal media.  

In 3.10 and above, we do some conversions that can help if you allow the SE to use internal media.  That is not saying it will always work, but will be your best chance.

The tests I just did were with the latest version of LOR.  No 1/4 speed (lor doesn't complain just plays at 1/2 speed instead).

Strange. I did the test in the Sequence Editor, 1/2 and 1/4 speeds are the same. Superstar on the other hand plays 1/2 and 1/4  speeds as it was expected.

• 4 weeks later...

1/4 speed work on both my deskton and my laptop. Both running win 7 and out quad cores AMD.

Working (actually 1/2 speed and actually 1/4 speed) or are both the same speed (actually 1/2 speed).  1/4 speed sounds really really slow and bearly intelegable.  Mine use\d to work at both speeds, lately (last couple of releases) I though it was working until I listened to both and discovered they were the same speed (1/2).

Edited by jerrymac