Light-O-Rama Forums

Bugs in the Controllers

Little_b

So this was my first year with LOR and it went very well.  I decided to leave the RGB strips lights up around the eaves of the house so I can turn on different colors to correspond with the different holidays throughout the year, and use some for landscape lighting.  So my question is for those who leave the controllers out all year have you had any issues with live bugs crawling inside and ruining them? Also any dust or dirt that may blow in.  The ones I want to leave out are DC powered with power supplies so I don't want to totally seal it closed because it needs the air circulation.  If anyone has ideas, I'm all ears.  Thanks.

I have had my out all year long with no issues.

I took them down this year because I am moving them closer to the items.

Two years ago, we had a warm Christmas.  Spiders love to set up nests in my controllers.  I don't leave them out all year.  So, I just checked them well before storing my controllers.

I thought about putting a little Ortho Home Defense below the strain relief to discourage them.

I leave mine out all year and they are the AC controllers. Call me crazy, but my mom got me on this kick:

Tape a small sheet of Bounce (yes the fabric sheet for the dryer) inside your cases. Keeps Mice, Spiders and all sorts of critters away

Kip

With the winter we had, I don't think we'll have any bugs this year.  By the time the 5' deep frost thaws. it'll be winter again!  :wacko:

I run a landscaping "show" all year long so my controllers are left up all the time. The two AC controllers are in the attic. I have never seen any bugs in the boxes. Also in the attic is a ServoDog that is inside a 8x8x4 electrical box, but the cover is left off. Out in the front yard is a 6x6x4 electrical box with an E6804. All the wiring leaves the box in underground conduit. That also stays clear. There is another 8x8x4 electrical box with a DC controller. Again all the wiring leaves the box in underground conduit except 3 small cables that go through one small hole that is sealed with silicone sealer. No bugs in there. Lastly is a brick column that has another 2 DC controllers and a ServoDog (and soon another E6804). I do find an occasional spider web in there. I like the bounce idea in post #4. Have to give that one a try.

My AC controllers are on the porch and elevated about 24" from October to January. I've had an occasional stink bug the past couple years. Prior to that there were a couple lady bugs when that population peaked here in central PA. I haven't had any damage yet. But a controller that I purchased from another local decorator had damage from a bug that got on the board near the TRIACs.

• The topic was locked