Light-O-Rama Forums

Songs that you use in your shows

kiplorenzo

Gang,

Just trying to get an idea for this years show. What music do you guys use in your shows? Most of us use TSO, Some manheim steam roller, and a few other artists.

I'm wondering if it is ok to use other songs that are not necessarily Christmas? a few other songs I have thought of are

Forever By Queen-instrumental. Prologue Harry Potter- Instrumental. the Coloring Song-Petra, The Power of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood,Bang! byFrankie Goes to Hollywood, Toccata Corpus TSO- Night Castle  

I"m trying to keep Christmas as the focus yet some of these songs would be great sequenced to light. I do plan on using some of my own music (MP3 to be posted soon)

Thoughts please?

Kip

Edited by kiplorenzo

Last year was my first year, and I stuck mostly to TSO songs and a few other Christmas songs. By and far the TSO songs were the most popular.

This year though, I'm going to sprinkle in some other songs. The Pirates of the Caribbean theme being the first one I've done. I'm thinking I may run the Christmas show for a few hours a night and then towards the end of the night run a non-christmas show of other various songs that I want to do that might not be Christmas related.

Use any music you heart desires. I use some non Christmas songs on my display. Pink Floyd, Cheap Trick, Ozzy, Blink 182 Dick Dale and I also have some of my own music sequenced. The only limit to a display is what you place on it. Just remember to have fun with it and get started now because the season come up fast and you don't wanta find ourself scrambling to complete the show. 

I even use the Banana Song from the Minions of Despicable Me. The kids love it. 

• Like 1

Here's our playlist from 2013. It's a pretty short list due to running out of time trying to get the entire inventory updated with all of last year's display changes, but it will still give you a pretty good idea of the mix.

http://www.clearwaterlights.org/PlayList.html

I think adding non Christmas songs in the mix is great.  Even though it is Christmas, it's nice to hear different music.  The more upbeat the better.

I'll have to put a warning on SandStorm! :D

I was thinking something like this:

2014 Songlist Artist   

20th Century Fox    

Party Anthem LMFAO    

Carol of the bells  David Foster

Amazing Grace

Do you hear what I hear  

Hark the Herald Angels sing  Manheim

It's the most wonderful time of the year Andy Williams

05 Remember TSO

The March of the Kings-Hark The herald Angels Sing

Christmas Canon.Wav TSO

Appalachian Snowfall TSO

Carol of the bells .wav Synthesizer

Siberian Sleigh Ride TSO

Have yourself a merry little Christmas John Schneider

Millenium Prayer Cliff Richard

The Coloring Song Petra

Xmas2-19_Mary Did you know Clay Aiken

An Angel came down TSO

Ornament TSO

Good King Joy TSO

Mad Russians Christmas TSO

Popcorn Hot butter

Sandstorm Darude

What did the fox Say Ylvis

I'm Sexy and I know it LMFO

Christmas Sarajevo TSO    

Oh Come All ye Faithful TSO

Gloria MWS

Wish Liszt TSO

Traditions of Christmas TSO

Where are you Christmas Faith Hill

Holly Jolly Christmas Burl Ives

Orinoco Flow Enya

We Wish you a Merry Christmas (Dance)

Seeings is believing

When Christmas comes to town Polex

Believe Josh Grobin

Forever By Queen Queen

Prologue Harry Potter          

Edited by kiplorenzo

I have always stuck with strictly Christmas songs but usually very up beat.  I get a lot of comments and thank yous from people saying they appreciate me sticking with "the reason for the season".. they like that it is all Christmas music..  Changing it up from just Christmas songs works for some.. But not for me personally

I have always stuck with strictly Christmas songs but usually very up beat.  I get a lot of comments and thank yous from people saying they appreciate me sticking with "the reason for the season".. they like that it is all Christmas music..  Changing it up from just Christmas songs works for some.. But not for me personally

And I feel the same and do the same.

I justify it by asking myself. Do I want to hear/display Christmas songs during the summer? No.

Do I want to hear/display Halloween music during Christmas? No. 

Christmas (along with Halloween) is a special part of the year so that type of music (to me) is much more fitting and appreciated during that certain time of year. It's a nice get-away from the every day radio music you hear all year long.

But that's just my personal pref.

But I'm with Plasma on this.

Edited by Santas Helper
  • Like 1

Use any music you heart desires. I use some non Christmas songs on my display. Pink Floyd, Cheap Trick, Ozzy, Blink 182 Dick Dale and I also have some of my own music sequenced. The only limit to a display is what you place on it. Just remember to have fun with it and get started now because the season come up fast and you don't wanta find ourself scrambling to complete the show. 

I even use the Banana Song from the Minions of Despicable Me. The kids love it. 

I have been building and buying like crazy... the budget is the only thing slowing me down... LOL

• Like 1

All Christmas all the time here. My display is arranged more like a variety show lasting about 25 minutes running at 7-8-9 pm. The penguins banter, then a song, then the penguins again and so it goes. Play list? Hmm let me try this from memory...

All I want. Vince Vance

Jingle bells Sinatra

Winter Wonderland Anthony Ratti (my nephew)

Penguin Holiday Rollie and Dan (original)

White Christmas Andrea Boccelli

Silent Night Jackie Evancho

Boogy Woogy Santa Claus

Christmas Eve Sarajevo

Rudolph gene Autry

God bless USA armed forces tribute American Patriots

I forget the rest right now but you get the idea.

I stick to mainly Christmas themed songs as well for Christmas, Halloween I may add in a song or two that isn't exactly halloween themed, but still try to keep what I use as close to Halloween themed music as possible.

I do add in a mix of comedy Christmas songs in my Christmas list, such as "Wreck the Malls", "We Wish You Weren't Living With Us", a cleaned up and short version of "Santa and I Know It", "Ding-a-Ling the Christmas Bell" and "Where is Santa Claus" just to name a few.

But as some others, what music you use is all dependant on what YOU want to use, another factor may be the neighborhood you live in as to how some songs go over and others don't.  

I have actually polled my neighbors and play some of the songs in advance {no lights yet} to see what they think, if they like it or love it, I'll add it, if they don't like or really love it, and really dislike or hate a song, it stays out.    So you may want to let your neighbors sample {hear"} some of the songs you wish to use in your display, and then get their feedback on them.   It helps keep the neighbors happy, as now they feel they get to have some input on song selection for a musical light show display in their neighborhood.

Most of all, it is YOUR display and YOU are the one to make any final judgement on what music you want to use in it.

OMG.. I just listened to Silent Night Jackie Evancho for the first time just now!  WOW!  I say here on AGT and was amazed.. she is amazing..

OMG.. I just listened to Silent Night Jackie Evancho for the first time just now!  WOW!  I say here on AGT and was amazed.. she is amazing..

Holy crap, that girl can sing. And for being so young, she sounds much older, with a superb voice.

• Like 1

Another reason I chose the Evancho version was the long lead in. Dan the penguin has enough time to tell the story of how Silent Night was written. I get a lot of " I never knew that." Comments.

Holy crap, that girl can sing. And for being so young, she sounds much older, with a superb voice.

Yes she can!   The first time I heard her on AGT my jaw dropped to the floor and my wife and I sat there mesmerized.

Wow, I am speechless.

OK so I had to see what the fuss about this Jackie Evancho singing Silent Night was all about. I've never heard of this young lady.

WOW!!!!! I'm speechless...... What a set of pipes.

My display is up beat in nature. The theme of the display is Santa's Surf Shop and the mellowest song in the display is Carol of the Bells by Straight No Chaser. and the Craziest song is Oh Holy Night from South Park. I'm not sure having a animated Christmas tree singing like Jackie Evancho after singing like Eric Cartman will look that good but I'm willing to try it. After all, It's my display. lol

Way too mellow for my display, but she can definitely sing.

She still has a way to go when it comes to lip-synching though.