Light-O-Rama Forums

new to Pixels and E1.31.

Dan C

So this year I'm slowly making my way to RGB and I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could help me out with.

I am going to be using an E6804 controller from Sandevices.  From what I understand, it can support up to 4 pixel strips each.

Those strips can be any length number of pixels.  Well up to a practical limit of 512 or so that is. 

I have two gutter/roof lines that I want to light.  one up high and one lower.

The upper one is  47' long. requiring 70 pixels at 8" spacing.

The lower line is 73' long requiring 110 pixels at 8" spacing.

The pixels I'm going to be using are from Seasonal Ent. C9 rainbow Pixels.

What I want to do is put he controller on end of the house and run two separate runs off of two channels.  The sets would be connected end to end for each roof line.

With the way this is laid out in my setup, the distance between the controller and the first pixel of each string would be around 7-8'.  

Here are my questions;

1.  Will this work in any way to do this?

2. If at all possible, I would like to run this all off one power supply, but I don't think I can will be able to.  if I have to "Inject" power along the way, how do I do that? Does it require something special?

3.  Am I completely losing it and going down the wrong path here?

Thanks!

Here are my questions;

1.  Will this work in any way to do this?

Yes that will work..........

2. If at all possible, I would like to run this all off one power supply, but I don't think I can will be able to.  if I have to "Inject" power along the way, how do I do that? Does it require something special?

You will have to inject power. Great writeup here on how to.....

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Power_Injection

3.  Am I completely losing it and going down the wrong path here?

You completely lost it when you started this hobby but for this particular situation I believe you are right on track. :P

• Like 1

The amount of pixels in a continual string/strip can be greater then the 512 chs ( 170 actual rgb chs ) The sandevices controllers let you "cross over " universes . In theory you could make a string of pixels that was 2040 rgb chs . Downside would be the refresh rate .

Edited by Elsa

The E6804 can run different length strings on each output or the same # on each output. In Unicast mode, per Jim at Sandevices, you can run all 2040 pixels from 1 output with proper power injection. I personally would never try anything like this, but according to him it's possible. The optimum way to utilize all channels is to run strings of 510 pixels per output. However, the more you put on each string, as Elsa stated above, the refresh rate starts going down quick. In Multicast, you can run a total of 1190 pixels. 297 per output. The refresh rate starts dropping, but not as much as 510.

In those Rainbow Pixels, remember the 42nd pixel does not have output wires at the end. To run more that 42, you'll need to cut the last one off and tie in the first pixel of the second string. That's the way my C7s are anyway.

Nope. 510 pixels per output. In Unicast mode, the E6804 can run 2040 total pixels, 12 universes. 510 x 4 outputs.

So what I hear you saying is these controllers can handle so much more than what I need, I should have no problems...

Good to know I can expand in the coming years!

Ron, good point about the end of the rainbow pixels, I didn't know they didn't have end connectors. I haven't actually ordered them yet.

Absolutely, E6804 and E682 in multicast will run 7 universes and in Unicast, they will run 12 universes