Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR's announcement about xlights

smeighan

Well you may have heard, LOR has purchased a copy of xlights/nutcracker. 

Matt and I were approached by LOR to see if LOR could get a copy of our source tree. Since our code is, and will remain , open source we needed to figure out to do this. Matt and I did NOT do this for any commercial reason. We asked our self if LOR had access to our code would it help users? The agreement we came to was to allow a one time snapshot of our code that LOR would pay for. Matt and I are not working for LOR, we are not stopping development of xlights, we will be making the same number of releases as we have in the past. Matt and I do NOT know what Dan will do with the code. The terms were they get a one time copy.  I think he will use it to seed his code base so that it can scale to the larger channel counts. We finished this deal a few weeks ago and have been waiting for LOR to make an announcement. I think this is good news for LOR in that they get the great architecture of xlights to help scale. It does NOT effect us in our development. Dan is an honest and upfront guy. Our code is available opensource. they could have taken parts of it and we would never have known. I think this is good for xlights users in that our file formats (xseq, fseq) and the integration with LOR will become tighter. We are NOT feeding our future versions into LOR. Matt and I wish Dan and LOR the best of luck. we, the xlights team, now will go back to what we are working on. We have over 100 items to prioritize.

Matt and Sean

Awesome to hear that LOR decided to add some of your code to their product, I think it will improve a good piece of software. I for one am very glad you received some compensation from LOR but  I am also glad that Xlights/Nutcracker will continue. 

Thanks Sean and Matt for your part in the next major release of LOR software. Want to do the PIE thing in the future. I just got to get my butt in gear and start the learning process. I used to eat this kink of stuff up. Something happened in the past few years and its like I cant adsorb stuff into the gray matter any more.

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day!!!

Matt and Sean thanks, good news for LOR in that they get the great architecture of xlights to help scale LOR software.

Thanks for all of the nice comments. It's been a pleasure working with Dan on this transaction. I hope the new software strategy is a big success - after all, I am an LOR user too!

Matt

Thanks Sean and Matt for your part in the next major release of LOR software. Want to do the PIE thing in the future. I just got to get my butt in gear and start the learning process. I used to eat this kink of stuff up. Something happened in the past few years and its like I cant adsorb stuff into the gray matter any more.

You're getting like me... the sponge is getting full or drying up.. one of the two!  :P

You're getting like me... the sponge is getting full or drying up.. one of the two!  :P

Yep, heard it was the mind to go first and I cant remember what is next.

Yep, heard it was the mind to go first and I cant remember what is next.

At least they make meds for the 2nd one

Sean,

Good to hear this. While I've not used it, I've heard many good things about your software.

This looks like it will be a good thing for LOR software going forward. Can't wait to see what LOR does with it.

• The topic was locked