Light-O-Rama Forums

Just a bunch of blinking lights

colonel

I forgot who said this but it has always stuck with me. Last year’s show was in my eyes a disaster. The weather kept us from getting all of lights up and I was 120 miles away getting radiation treatments. Dec. 20th was my last treatment and when I arrived the show was in full swing as best as I could control remotely and thru employees. Not everyone understands that a plugin is just not a plugin and that there is an order to what plugs into what. Needless to say, I was saddened in what did get put up. Then I started getting feedback from the estimated 3500 viewers and it was all positive! So next time you fret over your display, just remember it is just a bunch of blinking lights.

We on this forum might be concerned if there are lights in our show flashing out of tempo...

No one on the side of the road knows.

They just see pretty sparkly lights.

I hope you are feeling better.

My show was not necessarily a complete disaster, but I know that folks were disappointed for the most part do to the mediocre display I put up this past season. Several things helped to make a such a mediocre display. Like the 2.5 weeks I spent trying to get the ccr matrix to work right by using the G3 director unit. Then it snowed a few days before Halloween......& by mid November we had real cold weather & deep snow. Just over 2 ft. Anyhow even my wife was not happy, & my YouTube counts were way down compared to 2010. I never get much views on YouTube (around 2000 on some videos that I deleted now.), but this year was down. Nevertheless the rest was actually good for me & hopefully I will be renewed enough for the 2014 Christmas season.

Edited by lightzilla

It took me many years to realize this. I remember the first few years of the display I'd be out there analyzing every little detail making sure everything was perfect. (Or at least my definition of perfect.) It's nice to be able to set up a display that brings joy and happiness to kids (and adults) who watch the lights, while at the same time not stressing over every little detail.

It took me many years to realize this. I remember the first few years of the display I'd be out there analyzing every little detail making sure everything was perfect. (Or at least my definition of perfect.) It's nice to be able to set up a display that brings joy and happiness to kids (and adults) who watch the lights, while at the same time not stressing over every little detail.

Exactly.

We see things that 99.9% of the people don't see.

They are (like us in the beginning) amazed at all the blinky flashy....

I had 24,000 channels of lights. my megatree is 20x120 flex strips. 

this year i had virtual santa playing in a window.

I visited most people who came to see the show. i gave out a few thousand candy canes. I would ask people what they liked about the show

1) Virtual santa

2) snowfall tubes hanging in my tree. these were $15 for 8 x 30cm tubes from ebay

3) megatree

4) yard borders

So after hundreds of hours of creating effects and all , my stuff was 3rd on the list. It reminds me to be humble

• The topic was locked