Light-O-Rama Forums

A question of curiosity?

rainyoregonchristmas

I have just learned that the town I live in is FINALLY going to get LED street lamps to replace the traditional HPS (High Pressure Sodium) "Cobra Head" lights they currently use.  It's great, as being LED they are much more directional, and hopefully won't illuminate as much of my house as the HPS does.  My parents who live in a rural area 20 miles from me got theirs a few months ago, mine is not slated to be replaced until winter 2014 even though I live "In Town."  So I've actually been able to see them "Live" and I kinda like it, however the light to me is reminiscent of an Arc Lamp.

So my QUESTION is this:  How many of you live in areas that have switched to LED street lamps and how to do you like them?

(Or how many of you realized there was actually a conversion going on)

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

There are some near me.  I drove under them maybe once, didn't think much about it at the time.  They are easy to spot from an airplane among HPS.

If they're the same ones as we got they consist of 24-30 LED's. Super bright and the light makes it onto my house which is 20-30ft away. I'm going to ask the city council about getting a shroud added this year............

I drive by a long section of road that has installed them and they are bright.  The ones they used here seemed to be a bit more directional in the down direction.. Let's see how long they last now.

Someday the cities will get smart and use motion and infrared detection to turn them off or down when no one is around.. They could cut their lighting bills in fractions in some cases.. 

Seattle has been replacing ours for several years now...including the one right in front of my Christmas Display.

I really don't see any difference in regards to the amount of light that spills over to the house...

• The topic was locked