Light-O-Rama Forums

Upcoming "Getting Started" Course

Don

I've been working on a 'Getting Started' type of training class for Light-O-Rama newbies and those who don't feel as if they fully understand the platform. Below you will find the description of the course as it stands today. This is subject to change, and may have stuff added or removed before the course is scheduled.

There are two things to note.

This course is in now way sponsored by, nor created in part with Light-O-Rama.

The course is held online. You will not need to travel to another city to take the course.

Remember: This is a working description that may change before the course is scheduled. If you are interested in the course you are encouraged to email us at training@synchronizedchristmas.com so that we can gauge interest.

Getting Started with Light-O-Rama

Getting Started with Light-O-Rama, presented by Synchronized Christmas, is a multi hour course designed to give you the basics of the Light-O-Rama hardware and software. If you are just getting into Light-O-Rama, or you feel as if you don't quite understand the basics, this course will help you get started or gain a better understanding of how it all works.

The following is a list of topics that are scheduled to be covered.

What is Light-O-Rama?

Hardware

What are the various AC controllers?

What are the DC controllers?

What are RGB Controllers?

Why do I need a USB adapter?

Easy Light Linkers

Software

A review of the various parts of the LOR software suite.

A general review of what each part of the software does.

Sequence Editor

Basic set up of channels

Channel Configuration

Adding Devices

Timing Grids

Tracks

Groups

Visualizer - How to set up your display in the Vizualizer, configure channels.

Why is it so important to keep your names in sync between SE and Viz?

Show Editor - 

How to build shows. 

Review of various features.

Startup/Shutdown, etc.

Schedule Editor

Weekly view

Calendar view

LOR Control Panel

Starting/Stopping Schedule

Show on demand

LOR Verifier

Sequence Editor Programming

Overview of basic functions

Fade, Twinkle, Shimmer

Chase Tool

Foreground/Background Effects

Copy/Paste Tips

RGB Color Picker

Course location:

All training sessions by Synchronized Christmas are held online. No need to travel to another city, just dial into the conference call to join the class. You also have the option to use your computers microphone and headphones. In order to minimize distractions, all participants are placed on mute during the course. There will be many oppritunities to ask questions during the course, as well as software features you can use to get the attention of the course oranizer. A group chat session is also available so that you can talk to other class participants in real time.

We do not offer toll-free numbers for the course. However, we have the ability to provide a number in your country so that you do not need to call internationally. A number for the United States is offered by default. If you wish to dial in from another country, please contact us so that we can make sure one is available for you. If one is not available in your country, would need to utilize your computer microphone/speakers, or dial into another country at your own expense.

Course Schedule:

As of this writing the exact time table for this course has not been determined. The current plan is for a 6 hour course, with 5 hours of instruction time. The 1 hour of break time will include restroom and refreshment breaks as well as a slightly extended lunch period. It is expected that this course will be held on the weekends, with the times shifting a bit to accomodate as many timezones as possible.

Course Price:

The exact price for this course has not ben determined. Current estimate for the course is $80.

And just added to the Getting Started Course....

Superstar Sequence Editor Programming

Morphs
Images
Built In Effects
Instant Sequence
Visualizer Import
Exporting to Sequence Editor

Hi Don, I am not a newby but I thought I would check out the course anyway(not too many people know everything about this software). Anyway when I clicked on the "Learn more about the course here" link in you signature and it told me I am running an unsupported browser and that it detected that I was using IE7. I am in fact using IE9 here at work due to limitation of other software compatability with anything newer. I just wanted to point this out to you just in case this is a bug on your site.

Thanks,

Ken

Hi Don, I am not a newby but I thought I would check out the course anyway(not too many people know everything about this software). Anyway when I clicked on the "Learn more about the course here" link in you signature and it told me I am running an unsupported browser and that it detected that I was using IE7. I am in fact using IE9 here at work due to limitation of other software compatability with anything newer. I just wanted to point this out to you just in case this is a bug on your site.

Thanks,

Ken

Interesting. I ran a test using a UserAgent spoofer, and I get the unsupported error message on IE 6, 7, 8 and 9. The thing is, the "IE 7" text doesn't change regardless of which version you are using. 

The 'unsupported' part is part of the web site, and isn't a bug. The only bug seemingly at play here is the "IE 7" reference on IE 6, 8 and 9.

Thank you for the heads up though.

I'd love to see a course on Superstar alone.  Some of the vids posted are showing some amazing effects, and I'd like to know how much of what they are doing is completely manual, or is there a tool, and how the tool was used.

Some other things in Superstar training I'd like to see:

Setting up your display Visualizer with a combination of LOR hardware and Ray Wu pixels (Pixel tree)

How to adjust the pixel grid in SS

Importing or combining with Nutcracker effects

Advance tips and use of morphs and smooth effects

Use of images/gifs in SS

I'd easily pay for a couple hours of SS training if these topics and more were covered.

dave

Few answers for everyone, including some I've received in email.

1) Right now, I'm thinking it will be a 5 or 6 hour instruction course, with an overall class time of 6 or 7 hours. The actual time the class is held, though, will vary. I'm thinking the class will be 10a-5p, but I will adjust that for various timezones. The first one will most likely be in the US Central time zone. I'll have one for the West Coast folks and maybe even one for Australia, (that one would be on Sunday, Australia time.)

2) Superstar - Anything to do with non-LOR hardware/software is something I wouldn't be able to teach because I haven't looked at them. The rest of the items on the Superstar request above I could probably teach (some of them, though, I haven't messed with either.)

I'm interested also but did I miss the date as to when it will be held?

Did not miss the date. Haven't announced them yet. My best guess is that sessions would start around 3/29, and continue into April and May. There might be a course on 3/15 and it might be discounted since I would using it as a 'prep' type environment for me.