Light-O-Rama Forums

"Filling" an arch

Klayfish

I'm working on my first song using SS.  Well, actually I'm taking a song I sequenced already in S3 and adding RGB to it...my first work with RGB as well. 

My RGB is 2 starbursts (8 arms each) that will be about 6' apart from each other (huge thanks to Ron Boyd for helping me out with so much of this stuff!!).  The starbursts will have an arch that runs from the top of one across to the other.  Sort of like this but each end of the arch will be right above the top of the arm pointing straight up on each starburst. 

)

One effect I wanted to try out was to make the one starburst look like a turning wheel, which I've figured out how to do.  But as that wheel turns, I want it to gracefully "fill" the arch until it "spills" over into the next starburst.  Visualize the turning wheel being a pump pushing water through a tube (the arch) and into a bucket (the other starburst). 

Probably a simple answer, but how do I gracefully fill the arch?  If I use a morph, that's a chase so the beginning of the arch will go dark, right?  Which isn't what I want to do.  I want it to turn the lights on one by one and stay lit.  Then start to fill the other starburst as the wheel keeps turning.

Suggestions?

Edited by Klayfish

Not sure how to do it in SS but in SE you would just turn on the segments with a chase but once the segment is ON leave it on until the arch is filled or until you want to turn the arch OFF.

If I understand correctly, you want sort of a marquee effect running across the arch. There are two ways to do this in SuperStar.

1) Use a morph, make the tail be 0 length. Set state1 head length be 1. Set state2 head length to 1.

This will make 1 pixel chase across the arch. You can set state1 and state2 head length to be 2 if you want 2 pixels to chase across the arch.

You can do many of these, each a different color and you will get dots or groups of dots traveling across the arch

2) Use a scene and turn on every 3rd pixel of your arch. Make another scene and turn on every 3rd pixel but make it be the next pixels. Do this for a 3rd scene as well.

Rotate through the 3 scenes and the dots will appear to move across the arch.

Note that after making the first scene, you can use click on "group modify" and then specify to move the pixels to the right 1 pixel and that will create the next scene that has the pixels shifted over one.

Thanks Brian.  I don't think I did a great job explaining what I was going for.  I don't want to have a chase effect across the arch.   Imagine two buckets, one empty, one full of water.  There is a tube, represented by my arch, between the two buckets.  Now you're siphoning the water from one bucket to the other, through the tube.  So before you start pumping, the tube is empty (i.e. no pixels lit).  Once the pump starts turning (my spinning arch) it fills the tube/arch with water slowly.  The tube/arch stays full as the pump continually pushes water through the tube into the empty bucket (my second starburst), which slowly fills up.  How do I mimick starting with an empty tube and filling it so it stays full while the empty bucket fills? 

Ron,

Thanks, that's really close.  Only differences are I want to slow it down some and when I "fill" the other starburst, I want to do it more like water cascading into an empty bucket.  Thinking perhaps "filling" one arm at a time or something like that...or maybe a long morph that starts at the top of the 4 arms pointing up and spills down to the bottom.  I'm going to spend time studying how you did it.

Edited by Klayfish

I think I know how you want it done. Go ahead and study what I did. You can always extend the morphs to slow it down a bit. Let me play around a little bit more sometime today and I'll see if I can come up with something. I'll even move the starbursts. Do you want the first arm to be vertical, right?

I just signed up for Dropbox (man, diving into all sorts of new things with this hobby), so I think this link worked.  I've been looking at what you did and playing around for the past 45 minutes.  The effect I tried to do starts at about 1:28.  What do you think?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rek64qjnu2vhr5e/Lights.sup

Visualization I'm using:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5kgqnnog8roxxm/2014%20RGB%20w%20arch.lee

Edited by Klayfish

Dang, I wish I had have known you were going to sign up, I could have given you a link and got more space.

Now, take a look at this one and tell me if it's what you're looking for. The new set starts at about 8 seconds.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/50wzicfd6e5r6cs/FzMRpZmK2d

You have some cool effects in the one you sent. Do you mind if I borrow one or two of them?

Absolutely, use anything you want.  I've been toying around with it trying to find some cool effects. 

OK, I've got to spend time looking at how you do that swirl thing (the left starburst at the 8 sec mark).  It was in the sequence you sent me earlier and both my wife and I said "oooohhh cool" when we saw it.