Light-O-Rama Forums

Complete FM Transmitter Setup, Ready to GO!

bhays

Like most things in the USA, I don't think it is illegal to sell the amplifier.  After all, you could be using it inside of a Faraday cage for testing, etc.  What would be illegal is using the amplifier in a manor inconsistent with the law.   

As alien has pointed out, the FCC standard for unlicensed transmitters is 250 µV/m at a distance of 3 meters.  Notice that it is not specified in terms of feet, wattage or anything else.   I'm no RF guru, but I'm pretty sure that is not a whole lot.  If my math, along with my assumptions of a 'typical' FM radio (12dB sensitivity) are correct, you should be able to test if you are over power or not.  Simply take a radio, stand 10' from your broadcast antenna and tune in to your station.  Does it sound better than the audio of a land-line phone call?  If so, you are over the limit.  I realize that's a bit subjective, but who has thousands of dollars to spend on a decent field strength meter, right?

I'll bet that any of you who are running even UNMODIFIED Ramsey's (25Bs), EDM's, or the like are WELL OVER the FCC legal power output as well.  The difference is the amount of attention you will draw.  An FM25B/EDM, while well over the limit, will attract a WHOLE LOT less attention in 5 blocks than that 150W broadcast that can be heard 20 miles.

godney,

Actually naught laddie. Tis of ta German tribe ah be afrom. But ma tenancies are of both. An ifn ye has naught worn ta Kilt, ye be a missing a real treat. ;)

Actually i have worn a Kilt because i am Scottish my ancestors came to this Great Nation from Edinburgh  and settled in South Carolina and Georgia

DevMike i understand what you are saying, but if you read the post you would see he was using it Illegally.And trying to sell it to people who may not understand FCC laws that is were the problem is, because somebody else may not be as lucky as this man  was he didn't get caught.

I am sure mine is "over the limit", even though it's an EDM with stock antenna. But, like DevMike said, there's a difference between 5 blocks and 20 miles. I'll go one further, and say that running a strong signal for a handful of hours is also less "attention-gathering" and less concerning than running a 24/7 music station that OP was doing...

Edited by jlowe

Ya, will find me listen to the bagpipes long before the glockenspiel. :) I actually owned a bagpipe and was trying to learn to play it. But I started to late in life and had smoked to long. Found I could do a slow simple song. Then health took a bad turn and I sold the pipes. So, I go back on the sidelines and just listen and get wet eyes.

• The topic was locked