Light-O-Rama Forums

Can Remote Internet Towers Effect LOR and/or FM Transmitters

David Grygierczyk

I live out in the country and have been asked by a local internet provider if I would consider renting space on my mega tree tower for their equipment so they can receive and transmit signals from one tower to another.

My mega tree tower stays up year round and when not being used as a mega tree it flys the "American Flag" it is also capable of extending out to 65 feet and is located in what they believe would be a prime area for their receivers/transmitters.

So here are my concerns:

Would their equipment effect any of my LOR controllers?  At the present time I have 13 controllers but planning to move up to 16 this year.

Would their equipment effect my EDM FM Transmitter with J-Pole?  I transmit on 107.1

Here is the info they have provided me that their equipment will operate on:

The frequencies they will use are:  900Mhz    2.4 Ghx   5.8 Ghz

No idea what all that means but I am not interested in renting space on my mega tree tower if it will effect the operation of my Christmas display.  They have already completed research on their part and have informed me that neither my transmitter or 40,000 plus lights will interfer with their equipment. 

Are there any other concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Dave

Hi Dave,

You will not experience interference to your LOR controllers from 900 MHz or 2.4 and 5.8 GHz transmitters since their transmitters will be high in the air.  If your FM transmitter or J-Pole and is mounted on the tower near their Wi-Fi transmitters, the FM radio transmitter internal circuits could experience some interference.

My concern is the amount of transmitting power and antenna radiation their equipment will be emitting.  Also, the renter would be running AC or DC voltages from the ground to the tower top for powering their equipment.  Should you need to climb or lower your tower to work on your equipment near their equipment, The Wi-F- equipment should be turned off to protect you from RF exposure and voltage feed circuits. I'm sure this is something the renter would not permit unless approved by them.  If it was me, I wouldn't rent my tower space as too many RF safety issues and the renter could control your tower usage for your own equipment going forward.

Hope this helps!

Sounds like the guy wants to put in a WISP (wireless internet service provider). I almost looked into do that where I lived back some years ago. Good thing things did not jell. Within 2 years I would have been ran out of business by the local phone company putting in DSL service.

Atver makes some interesting points and you would have to have a well written contract to cover those issues.

Edited by Max-Paul

Atver,

Thanks for the information.  If I am to pursue this, the internet company is willing to install a second tower in another location on my property.  Using my tower is no longer an option as I want to be able to raise and lower the tower at my leasure and doing so would impact their ability to meet customer needs.  FYI, My FM Transmitter and J-Pole are mounted to my house and I would have no reason to climb their tower.  I just want to be sure that my Christmas display operates as designed.  I feel its worth pursuing, just having the fastest internet service at no charge is a good deal.  Then they are willing to pay a monthly payment that is going to go in an account for my grand child :)

Max-Paul,

DSL is not an option in our housing development, they will not run the cable unless we pay for it.  Then they wanted to be able to use the same cable we paid to install, so others outside of our housing development could have DSL at our expense.  So we decided not to pursue DSL.

Thanks Again for the helpful information,

In Canada there are rules defined as "Safety Code 6" which governs the human exposure to RF. The US has the similar rules called "Radio Frequency Safety". This shouldn't be an issue in your case but if your considering a transmission site on your property you may be interested in knowing the rules.

Daryl B.

Atver,

Thanks for the information.  If I am to pursue this, the internet company is willing to install a second tower in another location on my property.  Using my tower is no longer an option as I want to be able to raise and lower the tower at my leasure and doing so would impact their ability to meet customer needs.  FYI, My FM Transmitter and J-Pole are mounted to my house and I would have no reason to climb their tower.  I just want to be sure that my Christmas display operates as designed.  I feel its worth pursuing, just having the fastest internet service at no charge is a good deal.  Then they are willing to pay a monthly payment that is going to go in an account for my grand child :)

Max-Paul,

DSL is not an option in our housing development, they will not run the cable unless we pay for it.  Then they wanted to be able to use the same cable we paid to install, so others outside of our housing development could have DSL at our expense.  So we decided not to pursue DSL.

Thanks Again for the helpful information,

Oh, so everyone has cell phones in your housing development? Thats is interesting that no one has a hardwired phones.

Oh, so everyone has cell phones in your housing development? Thats is interesting that no one has a hardwired phones.

DSL service is very limited by distance when using copper wire, The DSL service provider would more than likely wanted to install fiber equipment to get the service within the vicinity of the housing development and then deliver the service via copper to each individual house in the area. So the houses probably do have wireline phone capability just not DSL capability due to the distances from the closest CO (central office).

Hope this info helps and not confuses

Cheers

Daryl B.

• The topic was locked