Light-O-Rama Forums

Projectors

djohnson1810

Hi guys.  This year I purchased the BenQ W770ST Short Throw 3D 720p HD DLP Home Theater Projector for my light show.  I am using the Light-O-Rama S3 Advanced edition to run the show.  So far, so good.  I have managed to get the projector to show a video against the house by using a media file through the S3 editor.

My question however is what happens when I am not doing video projection with some of the songs.  I don’t want my sequence editor projecting against the house.  In other words, the projector needs to be projecting sometimes, but not other times.

Do I need to have two video cards to accomplish this?  Right now I am using the HDMI out on my laptop.

Second, when the video is NOT projecting an image, there is still somewhat of a dim light projecting against the house.  How do you guys handle that?  Does you projector go into a sleep mode and the bulb turns off, or do you use some type of actuator to “cover the lens” when you want it completely off?

I have found some other threads discussing projectors on this forum, but not very many answers.  Anyone got any good links to tutorials or detailed discussions?

I have the same projector, so I will be watching this thread intently.

I'm able to control the projector via hyperterminal or procomm via the serial port but I haven't been able to figure out how to send the commands from LOR sw to the specific serial port that the control cable for the projector is plugged into.

Cheers

Daryl B.

Edited by grump010

THis is just an observation, but I think a projection onto the front of the house versus, say a back projection screen inside the house will vary how much light is shown, even if the screen is black. I would think that it would be pretty noticeable on the front of the house. I do it on the back projection screen for virtual Santa, as there are times that I like to take the audio from Santa, and actually hear what he is  saying over the speakers.  I did that for the first time last year, as prior to that, I just ran the dvd on a loop without the sound, I have the video clips of him attached to all of my songs, so there is that brief moment of darkness where Santa disappears and is back again, but the kids thought it was neat when they actually heard Santa's voice.

I install a lot of these with my job.  We are a dealer for them.  the best way to not have anything show and not waste your bulb life would be to control it with the RS-232 and turn it off remotely.  the cost of a new bulb is around $150 for 1500 to 2000 hrs.  and being out in a non controlled environment it cold make it less. 

There are good device servers that you can send commands to RS232 devices over ethernet. You could use the CMD option on the sequence and write a batch file or other program to send commands to the IP address in turn sending it to the RS232 device. 

I'm currently exploring this as well. I have created a PHP hosted site that the CMD feature of the sequence executes a 'GET' of a HTTP page in turn sending commands to my LED scroll with whatever I want. Currently it is the song title, and Next song in X minutes (while the show is idle).

There are options.

I've used .bat files for quite a few years, but I don't have the experience and can't seem to locate the information to send the bat commands to a specific com port. For instance to blank the screen it's a very simple text command as follows:

<CR>*blank=on#<CR>

and unblank the screen:

<CR>*blank=off#<CR>

If anyone knows how to send this as a bat file to a specific com port, I would very appreciative on any direction they can offer.

djohnson1810, I hope this isn't hijacking your thread as you will probably need this information also. If you wish I can create another thread asking this question, just seemed like a good opportunity since you seem to be working on the same issue.

Cheers

Daryl B.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used .bat files for quite a few years, but I don't have the experience and can't seem to locate the information to send the bat commands to a specific com port. For instance to blank the screen it's a very simple text command as follows:

<CR>*blank=on#<CR>

and unblank the screen:

<CR>*blank=off#<CR>

If anyone knows how to send this as a bat file to a specific com port, I would very appreciative on any direction they can offer.

djohnson1810, I hope this isn't hijacking your thread as you will probably need this information also. If you wish I can create another thread asking this question, just seemed like a good opportunity since you seem to be working on the same issue.

Cheers

Daryl B.

No, your good.

Thanks,

As I find out more info I will post it here. I've asked a few people at work, but no luck so far.

Cheers

Daryl B.

Yea.  I know people have been doing this for a while now and hopefully someone will have a step by step video or written tutorial.  

Thanks Tony,

I saw that and was unable to duplicate what they are doing using a win 7 or 8.1 OS. I haven't tried on my xp machine but hopefully this weekend as long as I don't get bugged with any call out for work.

Cheers

Daryl B.

Looks very promising, I remember reading in the forums a few years ago when Video was implemented into the software but I couldn't find any info on it when I searched. Duh, never thought of the user manual!

I'm out of pocket for a few days and then taking a sabbatical for a couple of weeks in the Dominican, but I'll try to play around with this when I get home before leaving for the Dominican. I would really like to get this working so that I can sequence a couple of videos that have been on the back burner for a couple of years.