My comments or observations.

Max-Paul

I recently got the bug for RGB flex strips and looking at doing a 12 strip 50 node each. Or 600 RGB channels. Things that would have made this easier to just set up the channels.

1) if I could have copied the first 3 groups of channels 1-50, 51-100, & 101-150. Just changing the universe number sure would have made it much easier.

2) if that could not have been done. Then if the type of device and universe remain the same as the last time you changed it. Real bore to have to enter DMX and Universe 5 each time for 150 channels. This automation would have surely sped up the process to configuring those channels.

I hope that this is something that will be looked at in this new version. One of those things that have been overlooked in the past. But seeing that LOR wrote this program to be used with more than just LOR hardware. I would hope that better ways of doing things for large Pixel counts is in the works.

Thanks

Max

Max,

Look for the video Andy (Harrison5050) did on youtube building the channels in vegomatic. While I hope all can be done in LOR I had to use vegomatic last year to add the channels to the first sequence. Worked like a champ and did not take long at all.

Jeff

Here is the link..  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du2GrqPglb4

Edited by Jeff Messer

How about this:

1. Right-click in channel list and select "Add device below".

2. Type of device is DMX universe. Select the universe number. For number of channels, if each strip is 600 channels, they will be split in 2 universes. So, select 512 channels, then click add.

3. Right-click the group and ungroup the channels.

4. Delete channels 511 and 512.

5. Add a new DMX universe below channel 510 using the procedure above. This time, you need 90 channels, so select the next highest amount and add them.

6. Right-click on the new group and ungroup them.

7. Scroll up to the first channel and right-click and select convert to rgb channels. In the window that opens, name the channels whatever you like, click the checkbox and do it for a total of 150 rgb channels. Done.

A large number of steps, but once you do it a couple times, becomes relatively fast. I haven't used vegomatic, but it may save more time.

Thanks jlowe.

If I ever find myself in a position to build up 600 RGB channels again. This is what I did. First to explain what I am doing. I am building a 2D mega tree with 12 strands of 50 pixels in each. And to keep it simple I numbered the first one 1-50, second 51-100 and third 101-150 for the first universe. Repeat 3 more times to get all 12 strands.

If you’re using a Sandevices controller, why not just

• add 4 DMX Universes,
  • de-group all 4,
  • delete 511 and 512 in each Universe, (This is one thing that needs to be fixed in the Visualizer, since we don't use channels 511 and 512 in a DMX Universe. These need to be ommited from the Channel Wizard in the Visualizer)
  • then convert to 600 RGB channels.
  • Then just use the "Group" tool and put them into 12 groups of 50
  • then delete the rest.

When using 450 channels per universe, you’re losing 20 RGB Channels for every 3 strings. I just don't like wasting channels. I know the E682 from Sandevices does the continuous channel assignments, not entirely sure about J1Sys.

I started out with 150 RGB channels per Universe on my 16 strand tree last year, but changed it over to continuous addressing after our spring Mini in March.

Just another way to do it

Edited by Ron Boyd

Ok, maybe I am missing something here Ron. Is there some kind of limitation of universes? I plan to use a E682 controller for this. Last I heard this controller has16 or greater universes that can be addressed on it, right?  Just simpler to put each strip on its own connector and thus also power injection wont need.

Now if I did the roof, and icicles on the gutter and window and door and hoops and spinner, well the whole display was RGB. Then I might worry about a mire 20 pixel addresses. But doing it this way that I am. I have my channels listed in a manner that makes it easier for me to keep track of what is what. In just a few seconds I can tell you what channel number and which universe.

Max-Paul, I completely agree with you. I do the 50x3 pixel assignment as well for ease of use.

However, when I need to utilize all four ports, I span a universe to cover that fourth strand. But, when starting the next cluster, I start a new universe again. That keeps some of the simplicity but allows for the use of all four outputs.

jlowe,

You speak of the 4th port. I presume you are talking about the 4th port in the cluster on the E682? I thought I remember hearing that version 4 of the firmware changed it so that you can have up to 12 universe? on that controller. I suppose I need to get out the manual and reread the limitations of the controller with firmware V 4.0

If you only have a few univeres in LOR then adding a device works well. If you have 10 uni's then vegomatic is the way to go. I can set back and wait 20 minutes to load a uni and I really dont have a slow machine. Max, You got my number so any way I can help just let me know. Vegomatic is very simple and fast.

Jeff

Max-Paul,

You are correct that the controller can run 12 universes in unicast. So, to take full advantage of all possible pixel amount/ports, you have to span universes.

However, I have needed to use all 4 ports and stuck to the easy addressing method when I've had mixed pixels lengths or types. For example: 4 strands of 50 pixel 2811's, 2 strands 25 pixel GECE's, 2 strands 50 pixel GECE's, and 3 strands 25 pixel 2811's.

Because in the example there are 4 "types" of pixels, and all of a cluster must be the same, it requires the use of port 4. So, as long as it makes sense to you and you don't violate one of the rules regarding using a 682, you are good to go.

I personally keep an excel document with the address of the e682's (I run all of mine in unicast), and what pixels are in each port, along with the universe and numbered addresses for each port.

Edited by jlowe