Light-O-Rama Forums

Do you climb your 30-50 foot towers?

Papa6058

If it were me I'd forget my tools at the top. Lost my favorite wire cutters one year and found them the next year in the gutter where I left them the year before.

Wow, that's just crazy.

Can you imagine the paycheck those guys get for climbing that one tower?

I climb my 30' mega tree tower the same exact way. Both hands always connected with some part of the tower at any time while climbing.

Here is a link to a video showing how to do that climb safely.

Also, here is a link to North Carolina's Dept. of Labor regulations regarding tower climbing safety.

www.khlaw.com/Files/3100_AGL_FEB06_029reprint.pdf‎

The NC law is for anything over 6 feet.  That may sound silly but you can be seriously injured from a 6' ladder fall.

"WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Retired Gen. Henry "Hugh" Shelton, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, is suffering some paralysis after a fall from a ladder at his home in Fairfax, Virginia, on Saturday, officials tell CNN.
A spokesman for the Walter Reed Army Medical Center said Shelton was initially taken to Fairfax Hospital, and then transported to Walter Reed later on Saturday.
The hospital said only that Shelton suffered a "spinal injury" and that he is under evaluation and listed in "stable condition."
Pentagon sources said Shelton initially had no ability to move his arms or legs, but that some movement has returned since the accident."

I know this may be a little heavy but the point is that working on this hobby has the potential for serious injury if you're not careful.

Don't take any unnecessary risks and have someone with you when you are climbing around to assist you and call for help if necessary.

Have Fun but be safe........

Tower climbing is a small part of my job. The first video demonstrates work practices that are illegal. Current law requires 100% attachment above just a few feet off the ground. I will admit that I work on my low pitch, one story roof without being attached, but I'm pretty careful about that. Anything above that and I'm attached with PROPER safety gear (that means a rope tied to your belt is out).

On a personal note, my paternal grandfather died from falling off of a roof about 75 years ago.

Tie off can also be hazardous to your health. Or should I say, what you tie off to. 

Had a guy here in town that was working on his roof and had his rope run over the ridge and tied off to his pickup truck trailer hitch. Well his wife decided to go to the store in his truck. You guessed it. Pulled him over the ridge and onto the ground. He was banged up pretty good. He looked like he had jumped into a concrete mixer head first and took a 30 minute ride. Took him a few months to heal up. I know he doesn't get on his roof anymore. I think they're still married.

Lock-Out Tag-Out.

Lock the truck, put the key in your pocket and hope no one has a spare........

Good point on knowing the integrity of your tie off point.

When that guy in second video was climbing up the ladder. There is a pipe that can be mounted in the middle of the ladder. Special pipe that has some indents in it. Then there is a "C" shaped device that rides up the pipe and attaches to the safety belt. If you fall there is a latch in the "C" device and stops the fall. Also along the same lines is a Cable that runs up the middle of the ladder and a device that latches and locks onto the cable. Again stopping the fall. Much simpler than the cords and hooks. Safer too..

As someone that used to climb hydro substation towers, 30-40 feet I'm ok with. But you couldn't pay me enough to do what those guys are doing in the videos. 

• The topic was locked