Light-O-Rama Forums

Busted a capacitor off. Oops

Dan C

Last night I was doing some rewiring inside one of my boxes that had my servodog inside. I accidentally bumped one of the caps while pulling a 1/4" spade connector off of different controller and broke the capacitor off on the servodog.  It's one of the smaller silver ones in the group of three caps right on the edge of the board near the network connectors.  

I powered the board up and everything seemed fine, so I'm hoping this is for some feature that I'm not using on the board.

Anyone know what the cap is for?  anyway to repair it without sending it in?

I'm only using 5 of the 8 channels for servo control.  Nothing else.

Thanks.

All the silver canister capacitors are for filtering ripple out of the power. You might operate ok without it, or the card lifetime may be shortened. Or you may have just feed your mogwai after midnight.

Someone with decent skills may be able to put a new one on, or even graft a pin through cap to the SMT pads.

Use a magnifying glass and write down the specs of the capacitor you broke off. Contact LOR for a replacement and if they don't have them, then look online for the same type. If its an electrolytic type, then there's a positive and negative side which becomes the issue. They cannot be installed backwards. Might be best to send it in for repair at LOR.

Thanks. I opened a support ticket with LOR but haven't heard anything back yet.

I noticed they have a small plastic base that had two corners chamfered off. Then on the board there was the same markings so I would say it is directional. But it is surface mount with the solder pads directly below the cap. I might have to bust out the reflow hot air gun! I just need the part.

• The topic was locked