Light-O-Rama Forums

Storing your spiral trees

packen

I am going to build two 16 channel spiral trees for the 2014 season. My question is for those who have them is, How do you store them when you take them down? It's going to take a long time to wrap the lights on them, is there a way to build it where it can folded down somehow so I don't have to restring it everytime I put it up. What do you all do with yours? Mine will be about 7' tall and about 4' around the bottom.

I'll be making mine like this one.  You can not use glue on the sections you want to seperate, making it easier to store. You actually don't need any zip ties, but I'll be using some anyway.

There's a thread in here somewhere where he basically just stood up a pole, ran cables from the top and staked into the ground. Once it's down, you can not get any more compact than his. I can't seem to find the thread, but the member is 'EARLE W. TALLEY'.

Edited by TheJackal

I've seen the thread by Earle. Excellent instructions. I was just hoping somebody had a way to build one that could be broke down and stored without removing all the light strings. I may be asking too much though. i know it would be hard to do. Just trying to save setup time next season.

It might be this one by the same person.  I was trying to understand how many strings to use.  I need items that break down as well but I want easy break down and easy setup items.

I built two of the above trees. I didn't glue any of the joints. I can break them all the way down. But they are kind of a pain when putting them back together. I did run a nylon string around the base to keep them together. IMO, it is harder to figure the angle of the lights than anything else. This year I will get the first string the way I like it and mark the path with white dots of paint. After the first string, it's just a matter of going around and around and around with the rest.