Light-O-Rama Forums

E682 Config questiion

DearJoel

In 2013 it was easy, I had four rgb light strings, 100 lights per string for 300 RGB channels per string, zig zag every 10 lights.  Each light string got its own universe.  Strings hooked up to the E682 controller on outputs 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1.  My tree was about 4 feet tall. 

This year I am trying to double that to an 8 ft tree.

I am looking to use 6 strings, 100 lights per string, zig zag every 20.

The E682 config is tripping me up

I have a couple of ideas, give me your feedback.

Option A is using two outputs per “bank” and starting with a new universe and channel one on each new bank of outputs, instead of filling out the remaining universe.

So string 1 would connect to output connector 1-1 and the start address would be Universe 1 channel 1, and string 2 on 1-2 end address universe 2 channel 90

String 3 on output 2-1 start address  universe 3 channel one, string 4 connects to 2-2 with the end address universe 4 channel 90

String 5 on output 3-1 start address universe 5 channel one string 6 connects to 3-2 ends on universe 6 ch 90

Option B is using two outputs per bank like above, starting with the 2nd bank picking up on the DMX count where the previous end universe ended.

String one on output 1-1 string two on 1-2.  start address universe one ch 1.  End address Universe 2 channel 90

String three on 2-1 string four on 2-2 Start address Universe 2 channel 91, end address Universe 3 channel 180

String five on 3-1 string six on 3-2 start address Universe 3 channel 181, end address universe 4 channel 270

Option C is using all for banks in Output one, then using 2 outputs on bank two.

String one on output 1-1 string two on 1-2 string three on 1-3 string 4 on 1-4 string 5 on output 2-1 string 6 on 2-2

Start address Universe 1 channel 1 End address universe  3  channel 180

Next line  start address universe 3 channel 181 end address Universe 4 channel 270

Finally, any suggestions on how I might config LORs RGB channels  in the sequencing editor depending on the option chosen, would be very helpful.  I had Vegomatic create 6 universes with 100 channels each, but I can't see that matching up.

What am I missing? Explain it to me like I am five.

Thanks in advance for your help

Joel Dearing

Indy, IN

Simple answer is, it doesn't matter. Do whatever makes the most sense to you.

Here's how I would do it (because this makes sense to me):

1-1: Universe 1, Addresses 1-300

1-2: Uni 2, Addr 1-300

2-1: Uni 3, Addr 1-300

2-2: Uni 4, Addr 1-300

3-1: Uni 5, Addr 1-300

3-2: Uni 6, Addr 1-300

Then, in LOR, I would configure each string of 100 pixels to its own universe (numbered to match the e682).

Now, that's how I would do it, but you could do it differently.

jLowe is right - what E682 output port the strings are wired to isn't really that important now that the command interface has been upgraded as of mid last year.  

One thing to consider as you assign universes, is that E1.31 Sansdevices can only accept up to 7 universes if you want to stay with Unicast.    You can easily burn big portions of a universe when your display is small, but later when you grow, you'll be forced to jump to multi-cast prematurely.

jLowe is right - what E682 output port the strings are wired to isn't really that important now that the command interface has been upgraded as of mid last year.  

One thing to consider as you assign universes, is that E1.31 Sansdevices can only accept up to 7 universes if you want to stay with Unicast.    You can easily burn big portions of a universe when your display is small, but later when you grow, you'll be forced to jump to multi-cast prematurely.

Bizywk, you have that backwards.  Multi-cast is limited to 7 universes, but unicast allows it to go to 12 universes.

As for how to configure the 6 outputs, I would pack them.  By that I mean that I would start with output 1-1, then 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-1,and lastly 2-2. I would start at the beginning of whatever universe you are using and go straight through from there.  There is really no reason not to pack them nor to "waste" universes.  Just remember that next year you may want to use some more of the outputs on that E682.

With 600 pixels, you will use about 3 1/2 universes, so you will have plenty of space for later additions.