Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB strip waterproof?

Eric walls

post-13180-0-77952800-1391140036_thumb.jHi all,

I just purchased a few RGB dumb strips and the description said they were IP68 waterproof. When I received them today it looks like there is a symbol on the package that they shouldn't be exposed to moisture?

How would I know?

I'm not using them in water or anything but I live in Oregon and want something that will hold up in the rain.

Eric

I have been laying my newer IP65 ribbons in a bead of silicon.  A lot of my first round of ribbons failed and had to be replaced.  So far I have had better luck doing this.  I just received a roll of white ribbon for my fish tank and it has a new type of coating.  It's a lot stronger and not as tacky as the silicon.  It's very tough to get to the solder pads after cutting.

Well it's plastic coated and it looks waterproof but I wanted to be sure. On the outside of the package there was a marking that looked as if it shouldn't have contact with water. Maybe they just package all of them that way? They're suppose to be more weather proof than the IP 65 but I have never used them before.

I just know that in the fall and winter we get a fair amount of rain and if they fail all the time I won't use them.

The seller contacted me and said they are weatherproof but not made to be submerged in water.

Guess I'll find out next year?

This will be my first year, I don't have any controllers yet. It would look good for landscape lighting though, good idea, maybe I can do that this summer.

As a buddy of mine says, there are only 2 things on earth that are waterproof. They are water and fish.  Plan accordingly.

Good advice......I wonder how they'll hold up in our rain? Perhaps I can use the sticky tape and attach them under the eves so they don't get so much rain.

Good advice......I wonder how they'll hold up in our rain? Perhaps I can use the sticky tape and attach them under the eves so they don't get so much rain.

You still want to lay them in silicon!  Mine are out of direct contact with water and sun and still went bad less than a year.  I'm hoping I don't have to replace the ribbon again later this year that was laid in silicon.

So do I just lay a bead on the back after taking off the adhesive strip? I was going to use a gutter hook type to hold them in place, might not even use rhe adhesive strip. They are going to go on the outline of my gutter and then icicle lights hanging down from that.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have any ice build up on gutters during winter, don't put anything on your gutters!  Mount your lights under the gutters.  Some use vinyl J or F channel to mount their ribbon in and then mount it.

I know that this will add to the price of your project. But is there any chance you could mount your strips inside of PEX tubing (new form of water lines in the house). I would stay away from the rolled up form and use the 10' pieces that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes. I am sure that other vendors carry it too. I had mine that is supposed to be water proof in pex tubing. Only failure were from the bad engineering and not really rated for 12VDC. I am fairly sure that the failures were not cause of water ingress.

Welcome to Christmas lighting Eric.. I have a large display up in Vancouver...

I have learned that strips like that will eventually allow water in. Depending on how you are going to use them, you will need to encase them into something else. Also the adhesive strip fails more often than not. The adhesive fails and allows the water to contact the wiring inside.

If you need any help with anything Christmas related, I can help you out. Also think about attending the PACNW Mini.. check it out at www.nwclap.org

I use all types of controllers from LOR to E 1.31 and different types of pixels.

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for the advice. I guess I should have done a little homework first. The strips said IP68 waterproof so I assumed I was good. (yes I know what happens when you Assume!)

Being my first year I wanted to try the DC controller and a few RGB floods and dumb strips-nothing too fancy. The CCR and E 1.21 stuff is just going to be way over my head, at least for now.  I will start my display with just two controllers, one being the DC. I figured I would start small and add something to it each year.

Good Idea with the PEX pipe. I'll have to look for some of the straight 10 foot sections and see if I can find something clear and at a reasonable price.  I wanted my RGB strip to be mounted just above my icicle lights.

Thanks for the web site too, I'll check it out and I'm sure I will have plenty of more questions.

Can't wait to put my first display together! A lot of work but my neighbors and my family are going to love it.

• The topic was locked