Light-O-Rama Forums

Can I run DMX Floods & my LOR Controller from one USB485?

jonnyci

You can run the USB485 in DMX mode by removing all LOR networks from the LOR tab of the Network Preferences panel, then adding it as a DMX universe in the DMX tab. You may have to save and close after removing it as a LOR network before it will let you add it as a DMX network.

Then you will have a single DMX universe, and your LOR controllers will operate in DMX mode. This means that shimmer won't look the same, but other than that, you should be able to operate it this way.

You can run the USB485 in DMX mode by removing all LOR networks from the LOR tab of the Network Preferences panel, then adding it as a DMX universe in the DMX tab. You may have to save and close after removing it as a LOR network before it will let you add it as a DMX network.

Then you will have a single DMX universe, and your LOR controllers will operate in DMX mode. This means that shimmer won't look the same, but other than that, you should be able to operate it this way.

Note that most non-LOR DMX devices use pins 1-2 for the DMX signal whereas LOR uses 4-5.  So you'll need special cabling to convert back and forth to and from your floods most likely.

Note that most non-LOR DMX devices use pins 1-2 for the DMX signal whereas LOR uses 4-5.  So you'll need special cabling to convert back and forth to and from your floods most likely.

Hmmkay.  So I guess I don't want to go the route I was thinking then.   So if I wanted a couple of Floods or Wall Washers, while continuing to run my 16 Channel LOR controllers, what do you pros suggest as the cheapest and easiest way to do it?

Use the usb485 for your LOR network.  Use an Entec Pro or cheaper equivalent to run the DMX universe.  The Entec Pro or equivalent is a dongle with logic control, it does the processing for the DMX protocol so your CPU doesn't have to.  You can use a second usb485 to run the DMX universe, but there are issues to be aware of that I don't have answers to, because I didn't go that route.

^ +1

The issue with using a LOR usb485 as a DMX dongle is for the most part one channel off. The older adapters were always one channel off...the newer ones was hit and miss. You would be better off using an Enttec pro or compatible. Acti-Dongle would be a good option from HolidayCoro.

You might also consider an E1.31 -> DMX bridge, such as those sold by DIYLedExpress.  Not much more than a cheap dongle, and gives you 6 universes of DMX for future expansion.  Plus I think E1.31 is a lot less fussy than USB devices personally.

^ +1 The issue with using a LOR usb485 as a DMX dongle is for the most part one channel off. The older adapters were always one channel off...the newer ones was hit and miss. You would be better off using an Enttec pro or compatible. Acti-Dongle would be a good option from HolidayCoro.

The older ones had a +1 problem, but all the newer ones work just fine; I have one of each that I tested.

I have used several of the DMXKing dongles without any problems.

Also, the Hardware Utility only supports the LOR network, not a DMX network. You'll need a third party utility for testing.

Edited by Ken Benedict

You'll need a third party utility for testing.

Nah, it's really easy to make a one-off, throwaway animation-only sequence in the sequence editor.

Lots of great info and things to think about, keep it coming!  Tim, I was looking at your website, love the Mega tree!  How complicated and expensive was that? 

The older ones had a +1 problem, but all the newer ones work just fine; I have one of each that I tested.

The ones I tested that was hit and miss was the booster adapters. The standard ones was always okay. I tested 10 of each in my stock and that's what came up. I suppose I could of had a couple old mix with new.

A few customers wanted to use them as a DMX dongle so I checked them before shipping. I separated them in my inventory incase I was asked again. I don't really care to use them for DMX. Enttec, DMXking or ActiDongle are better options for a single universe....IMO.

Edited by CLD Kevin

Lots of great info and things to think about, keep it coming!  Tim, I was looking at your website, love the Mega tree!  How complicated and expensive was that? 

Thanks.  It was my first foray into pixels so I did a lot of research and prototyping.  But now that it's done, it's much easier to set up/connect and tear-down/disconnect than my old incandescent tree.

As for expense, it was considerably cheaper than redoing my old incan tree with LED stringers, which was my first plan.

Another easy solution is the ELOR. I used that for the past 2 years. You plug it into your LOR network, and you get DMX out (as well as E1.31, which I will use this year). It costs $99 for the kit. You use it with the Hardware utility to test your DMX floods. It also does LOR effects, such as shimmer, very well. It shows up on the LOR network as 4 iDMX1000 devices.

• Like 1

If you just want a couple floods and/or wall washers you can use "dumb" RGB lights and a LOR DC controller.  Skip the DMX all together.  These daisy chain with LOR controllers and talk LOR. 

• Like 1