Light-O-Rama Forums

Firmware do I upgrade?

jlarson

Hello All,

I have been doing LOR for about 5 or 6 years now and during that time I have purchased a few controllers. My question is should I upgrade all 14 boxes to the latest firmware or leave them alone? A couple of them I still use to control different affects in my show but most of them just turn on and off my static portion of my display.

Thank You for your input.

When the fading twinkle/shimmer features were introduced it required you to upgrade the firmware to get those affects. This was at least 4 years ago, (probably longer.) 

If you don't plan to use those effects, or if everything is working in a satisfactory manner for you, then there isn't really a need to update your firmware. If you are going to do so, however, this is the time of year to do it. You'll have plenty of time to work on it, and won't be in a bind if something goes horribly wrong.

If you are having issue or want to add features Yes.  But if you are happy and not changing anything then    "If it's not broke don't fix it."

Personally I would do the firmware upgrade. Then if you happen to try to do one of the newer functions. It would do it. But if it will not do one of the newer functions cause you didn't do the past few firmware updates. Might leave you scratching your head wondering why it is not working. Really not hard to do. Just dont do it during a wind storm or thunder storm and all should be well.

I do update my LOR units during the month before installation - It takes just a few minutes, but makes sure the units are on the latest version of approved code.

I update all my controllers, MP3 Director with the newest firmware.  That way I know if I use a feature it's going to be there and don't get caught trying to figure out why something isn't working.  So, yes, I recommend updating all your hardware with the latest firmware.  It's very easy to do and doesn't take very long to do it.  {as I believe Max-Paul said, don't do it during a thunderstorm or a high windstorm if your controllers are outside!  Mine are sometimes taken down and brought inside when I do my firmware updates, sometimes they are done outside during the lighting season, but definitely not during a rain or "thunderstorm" no matter what!}

I have updated my firmware as soon as a new release has come out, even during the lighting season, and knock on wood, have never had an issue with updating my firmware to the latest versions.

But as one other stated, make sure it is the correct firmware for the controller or item you're downloading it for.  However, LOR has built in some great safety features that has never allowed me to download or install a firmware update into a controller/hardware device it wasn't designed for.  You'll get a message saying something to the effect: "The firmware is not for this device" and won't install it.     At least that has been my experience when I accidentally tried to load the wrong firmware into one of my controllers.

Our official stance on upgrading firmware is this:

"Unless you are experiencing a problem that a firmware update will address, we do not recommend that you update the firmware on any LOR device."

The reason we say that is because of the possibility of 'bricking' your device.  A corrupted firmware update could render your device completely unresponsive and require a trip back to the factory to be fixed.

Now, on the other hand I have to say that the LOR bootloaders are the best out there.  I have never EVER seen a report of a device being bricked by a firmware update.  I won't say that it is bullet proof, because as soon as I do 20 people will brick their controllers.  :P  However, updating firmware on any LOR device is fast and painless, 

If you do have to update a firmware, we recommend you only have 1 device on the network at a time.  That just prevents any confusion that may occur with multiple devices on the line.  The exception is devices that require accessory power like ELLs or Show Directors.  When updating those have a single powered up controller as well as the device you want to update.

THIS (quoting DevMike)"If you do have to update a firmware, we recommend you only have 1 device on the network at a time.  That just prevents any confusion that may occur with multiple devices on the line." Along with what I said about not doing this during a lighting storm.

Also quoting DevMike "Unless you are experiencing a problem that a firmware update will address, we do not recommend that you update the firmware on any LOR device."  back to if it's not broke what are you fixing?