Light-O-Rama Forums

dimming led strips?

portcity_gt

I bought some cheap led cool white strips for my holdman star with power suplys (12v) I was worried they wouldnt dim and sure enough they wont.

my question is....can I get some type of dimmable driver so I can use these on a standard ac lor controller, or will I have to go dc like a CMB24 and resequence?

thanks, nick.

I don't think so most led dimmers are dimmed on the output side after converted to dc the lor controller would dim power going into converter not sure you can do that

Yes they are cheap for a reason, but It would probably cost more to correct this than to buy the better lights.    Try to use them where you don't need to dim something.   Some people have tried snubbers.

You have to use a DC controller, either LOR or DMX.  You will want a bigger power supply to be able to handle multiple ribbons.  The power supply powers the controller, the controllers then control the ribbons.  The ribbons will work flawless for you then.

Edited by scubado

You have to use a DC controller, either LOR or DMX. You will want a bigger power supply to be able to handle multiple ribbons. The power supply powers the controller, the controllers then control the ribbons. The ribbons will work flawless for you then.

I figured id have to go that route, I was just hoping someone here knew a way to use them with the ac controller so I wouldnt have to re sequence. That being said.....whats the easiest way to change the sequences? I assume ill have to make 3 new dc channels at the bottom of the sequences and copy/paste the ac channels.

Ok, I thought about that too just wasnt sure if it would work. Keep in mind 2014 will be my first display lol.

my star is 3 channel all white, would I be able to use this dmx 512 for rgb but have it run 3 strips of white instead of one rgb? Will I need adapters for dmx? Should I just buy the lor dc controller for easy setup for a newb?

ps im only using ebay for searches and reading im not trying to buy everthing there.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/231132684643?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Well I think ill be better off getting a cmb24 than the dmx stuff. Its the same amount of money but less to deal with.

I planned on using rgb eventually anyway.

but I still have the sequencing questions can I use one rgb channel to control my three white strips or will I have to use three rgb channels (9)

Why are you all about RGB when you have a single color strip (white). You do realize that a dc card is just a dc card. That each output will go from 0 to 100 out of the voltage applied to the input of the card. So, you can use each channel individually or you can assign 3 channels of the card to a RGB channel (which btw is 3 individual channels grouped together to make an RGB channel). Ok the card you are speaking about is 24 channels. And they can be assigned in the software as one channel here in this track, 3 over there in that track and 2 more in a 3rth track and so forth. Trying to control 3 strips of white in one RGB channel would be mind bogling to do. Example I want the 1st strip to turn on so I tell red to come on. Now I want to turn on just the 3rd strip, so I tell blue to come on. And now I just want the 1st and 2nd strip to come on. I would have to turn on red and green, which happens to show up in the vis screen as yellow. How about we just use one channel for each strip. and in the vis screen I see 3 strips of white for when they are on.

This seems to confuse a lot of people. The reason behind LOR making the 24 channel dc card is cause a lot of people started to use dumb RGB strips. So 3 divides into 24 8 times with no remainder. So they tout this controller as being RGB ready or what ever wording they are using. This controller is not just about RGB. It is first a 24 channel DC controller that is optimized for Dumb RGB strips.

Ok, thats what I was asking. If it could be sequenced as 24 individual channels or if it was 8 groups of three. I agree it would be a pain trying to split up a rgb channel to run a single color star, thats why I was asking before I bought more hardware.