Light-O-Rama Forums

Is anyone building their own laser shows?

smeighan

Is anyone using Pangolin QS software to create laser light shows?

This software can create new effects (things like open an image file and it will find the edges of color), create animations with frames. It has more options that nutcracker and more options than madrix.

If you search for ILDA lasers (meaning they can read in these binary files to play a show and look for DMX controlled lasers), you can build your own show.

There is a standard used by lasers called the ILDA (International Laser Display Association). The standard is listed here . http://www.laserist.org/StandardsDocs/IDTF05-finaldraft.pdf

Someone has made some php libraries to read and create the binary file described in the standard. https://github.com/themainframe/php-ilda

Arduino have done much with the ilda.

So is anyone building ILDA laser shows? What laser and software are you using. If i get  a laser, i will add the option of creating ILDA files from nutcracker. If i do this you would not need the QuickShow software from Pangolin (Although their software is always going to be way better than i could create)

Just try searching for ILDA lasers one ebay that are around 25K scanrate. this indicates how many things can be drawn without getting the lag where you notice it.

Laser price goes up with the higher scan rate and power. ANALOG inputs give more responsive laser

$2350: ANALOG 40K scan rate, 1000mw RED, 500mw GREEN, 500mw BLUE lasers

$1888: ANALOG 30K scan rate, 800mw RED< 200mw GREEN, 500mw BLUE. 

$355: 20K scan rate, 200mw RED< 60mw GREEN, 160mw BLUE. 

anyone have any suggestions for a good ilda RGB laser?

thanks

Hey Sean,

I have plans for the laser show in the future, but this year is spent on adding in more lights as this was year 1 for me.

I have looked at some of the Lasers that are available on Ebay. There are other software options from what I see of this forum: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/showthread.php/19036-WHAT-is-the-BEST-Laser-show-software-PHOENIX-Fiesta-Moncha-ishow-Mamba-black

Hopefully that helps,

Kip

Never built a "home" laser system for a light show, but have built lasers for military use, both destructive and non-destructive.

Now as much as I love lasers and would really love to incorporate them into my show, I wouldn't even attempt it, and don't think I could at my location, I'm in the cross-hairs of two very busy airports and the flight paths also cross over my house.     So I wouldn't want to take a chance that a stray laser may hit one of the aircraft, especially since I am less than a few miles from BOTH airports, so very low flying aircraft are and would be a big issue in my case.

Now I could possibly do a "ground show, but that also would be difficult and if it just happened to reflect back up into the sky and, again, hit an aircraft, I'd be in hot water fast.

So in my current location I think it best not to incorporate lasers into my display at all.  Just don't need the FAA or some other government agency knocking on my door to cart me off because one of the laser lights accidentally went astray.

I agree with Orville.  I live near the St. Louis Lambert Airport.

I think it could be set up where it doesn't interfere with the air traffic.  Unfortunatly they laser would have to be outside, and I don't see any way I could stop someone from messing with it and causing problems for aircraft. 

I'm sure it would be a great addition, but, not worth the risk to me.

Jerry

The distance of a laser depends of the wavelength of said laser,diverence of the beam and the amout of absorption of the beam.  A laser can go to a point of infinity if there is no absorption of said beam.  Also with the three types of lasers, solid state,gas and liguid, several other factors must be added to the equation.  With that being said, I would not use them unless you have a secure location so alignment can not be messed with.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Edited by shfr26

I have to agree with awesome. The liability is just to much of a risk. Even though I am out in the sticks. We still have a lot of traffic overhead. Lasers go a long distance and does not take much energy to light up a windshield. Looks great and wish any who do a laser show good luck. But I think I will just watch and not worry about loosing the house over it.

I'm in Orville's situation.

I live 2 miles from the airport. BUT I also work at FAA. So no lasers for me.

In most cases, lasers are used on tall buildings (away from airports) and are usually for a one time event. Don't know if there is a permit thing or not.

But when seeing lasers in use, it's usually at concerts inside buildings with a fog haze/fog so you can see the laser beam. For use with outside, that would be hard to do with a big fogger and little amount of wind even. So on outdoor use, images are seen on a surface and indoor use beams are seen in the air surrounding them. Same to say, outdoor use, lasers point on buildings and indoor use, lasers pointed out toward/above audience. It depends on you use and what you want.

Either way, just be super careful as to how you use them. For concert goers (like myself) I love'em. For pilots, it's a very bad thing...

Another thought about this. 

I'm assuming that you are going to project the laser onto a flat surface like a garage door or some kind of screen.

Unless this is way above ground level, you run the risk of causing damage to someones eyes with the laser.

Jerry

Santa's Helper is direct on with laser use.   I know when concerts use them outdoors here in Florida, they do have to get a permit for their use, which has been denied to several bands here because the location was too close to the airport{s}.

Another issue is also like Jerry says, if the laser display is where anyone could walk between the surface used and the laser equipment, that could be a big legal issue if someone gets blinded by one of the beams hitting them in their eyes.    The laser area would have to be in a secured area away from where anyone could accidentally walk between the beams or allow someone to mess with the laser equipment, even a slight bump accidentally on the housing enclosing the laser system could skew where the lasers are supposed to go.

Personally I would not want to take the risk of using lasers in an outside display, now if you can set it up INSIDE an enclosed garage and put up some type of wire mesh barricade across the door, then a laser option may be feasible.

Unfortunately I don't have a garage, and, again, being in the flight paths of low flying aircraft from both Orlando International and Herndon Airports, it's n my best interest not to even attempt a laser show outdoors.

Not saying those that want them not to do it, that's entirely your option, but there could be some serious legal ramifications in using lasers outside, especially if you don't have a large amount of space to dedicate and set aside for the laser equipment and projection background for the beams to be seen on, as well as keep folks from messing with or even bumping the housing that may enclose the laser equipment.

Just far too risky for me, and believe me, I'd love to be able to use lasers, but it's not worth my getting sued by someone or losing my home to even attempt the use of lasers in my current setup/area.

So do it and use them if you want, but you do so at your own risk.

Never built a "home" laser system for a light show, but have built lasers for military use, both destructive and non-destructive... government agency knocking on my door to cart me off...

Orville, I bet you feel bad about the design of the Fukushima Reactor disaster... Would that have been one of your destructive or non-destructive designs? Any government agency stop by to ask you about that?

I live within five miles of one of the largest airforce bases in the world and the largest bomb wing........I wonder how they would feel about me using lasers lol.

I wouldn't know anything about that George.  I just worked for "companies" that designed and built lasers for both types of use.     I would have nothing to do with the actual design phase of them, I just followed the blueprints/drawings as an assembler for those companies.   And that was many years ago, I'm talking back in the late 1980's to early 1990's.     Lots of changes in use and design since that time.   Back then I don't recall even having "home" laser pointers or displays.

So the gov't wouldn't be looking at me, they'd be investigating the company or companies that created the laser, the assemblers just follow drawings/blueprints and have no responsibility for any errors, omissions or any other criteria for the end results of what happens when using those lasers.

Now if I had built in in my home and sold it for use to a military organization and they used it, and it didn't work or created some damage that was not supposed to occur, then and only then could I be held accountable.   I didn't, those companies I worked for created, designed and implemented their laser designs, I just assembled them under their watch, so I have nothing to do with any of that, nor do I have anything to feel guilty for, again, because I DID NOT DESIGN/CREATE the LASER, just assembled it using company plans, so said company/companies ARE the ones RESPONSIBLE,

...but have built lasers for military use, both destructive and non-destructive.

Orville, I never realized that you were such a killing machine. Careful, such violence may not be tolerated around here.

Edited by Surfing4Dough

My browser won't let me quote current posts or even cut and paste from and to another, so have to do it like this:

@Surfing4Dough, you don't even know a quarter of the stuff that I've built for numerous companies I've worked at that were designed for medical and military/governmental usage.   

But many of those military/governmental devices I've worked with/on and repaired will always remain a very close guarded secret with me, can't discuss any aspects about any of them, and every one of those secrets will go with me to my grave.

But many of those military/governmental devices I've worked with/on and repaired will always remain a very close guarded secret with me, can't discuss any aspects about any of them, and every one of those secrets will go with me to my grave.

Wow - I didn't realize we had a secret-agent man among us.

Are you sure you haven't already violated your non-disclosure agreements by even mentioning that you did all sorts of secret agent man stuff?

You might keep an extra keen eye out your window for the next few days. No telling who else is prowling around this forum, and might have already alerted someone you don't really want to meet that you're running your mouth.

No, don't have to worry about that George, as long as I don't disclose exactly what I did, and I give no info on how it was done/manufactured, which I have not.  I have nothing to worry about as I have not broken or violated any of the non-disclosure contracts I have signed, but I will say I have signed a lot of them, so many I lost count, but I can't disclose any info that's on those either.

I can tell somewhat of what I've done, just as long as it is not specific and kept vague, which I have not disclosed anything, nor stated anything of what those positions actually were, entailed or located.

So, no I don't have to keep looking over my shoulder, I'm good.

Dang Orv, I never knew you were into sooo many different things.  Also kinda of a secret employee type of guy.

Dang Orv, I never knew you were into sooo many different things.  Also kinda of a secret employee type of guy.

Kind of sounds like James Bond!  Who would have ever guessed that Christmas light decorating would provide such a great cover.

But many of those military/governmental devices I've worked with/on and repaired will always remain a very close guarded secret with me, can't discuss any aspects about any of them, and every one of those secrets will go with me to my grave.

Was this at one of those shopping mall type laser hair removal places? Can't say what you have seen? Can't say what you used in the event of infection or a body part falling off? :-)