Light-O-Rama Forums

What is Your Sequencing Process?

TheAstronut

Having only started with LOR this year, I've been looking back at I how I made my sequences, and it got me thinking about whether or not I was going about it the best way. I know they always take a while, but I've been wondering if the way I do it is inefficient. How do you guys make your sequences? In case you were wondering, this is how I do it.

1. Go through the song in the Sequencer, and insert a timing every 4 measures or so (assuming the song can actually be divided like that, they don't always cooperate).

2. Split each larger timing into 32 smaller pieces, to get a close to exact timing on every beat and between the beats.

3. Watch it through to make sure the timings don't drift.

4. Starting from the beginning, work in small chunks of the song, sequencing all 32 channels (in my case) more or less at once.

5. Rinse and repeat, until the sequence is done.

*Optional: 6. Spend hours changing stuff, because it's never quite right...

I know it should be a fairly simple, if time consuming process, but I can't help but imagine somebody else with more experience has figured out a better way to do this than I have. If anybody would be willing to share their methods, it would be greatly appreciated!

1, 2, & 3: I take care of these items in about 2 minutes (including setting up 8 separate freeform timing grids), regardless of song length, using the Beat Wizard.

4. I personally sequence one element (or one group of related elements) at a time from beginning to end. Then select the next group of elements and repeat.

5. Same as you - rinse and repeat.

6. Rarely need to do this. I spent the time constructing the Visualizer in exact detail so there's no surprises. Everything looks exactly like I want it to when I complete the sequence. Occasionally I spend a couple minutes cleaning up little things after seeing the sequences in the yard.

check out John's tutorial (actually 4) on how to start sequencing.  Great for those just starting out and some good ideas for others.  can't past the link so  go to you tube and search for listentoourlights   you will see Johns pages  (he uses a avatar  of Grisworld.)

check out John's tutorial (actually 4) on how to start sequencing.  Great for those just starting out and some good ideas for others.  can't past the link so  go to you tube and search for listentoourlights   you will see Johns pages  (he uses a avatar  of Grisworld.)

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/30693-4-step-sequencing-tutorial/?p=282412

I guess we all do something similar & yet different.

1) I like to have my Lcc done 1st & stick to it....(which I fail at,  but I still do not change it all that much) 

2) I make sure my visualizer is all done

3) Find the music. I at least pick 2 & up to 4 new Christmas songs (not mainstream) that come from independent singer/song writers  I find on YouTube, Sound Cloud, CD Baby, iTunes, Google & so on. Sometimes singers invite me to subscribe  to their channel & I look them over. Then I ask if they have a "upbeat Christmas song"....they say sure here you go you should like this one. (wasn't even released yet). Or I ask a singer can I use your song & is it on iTunes? They say (in an email) here you go have a high quality song.

4) I click the Lor Sequence Editor & the click on New Musical Sequence & the do the add Author's name & then load my Lcc file (it has 10 "Dead Channels on top for something like: Beat 1, Beat 2, Vocals 1, Vocals 2, Drums, Cymbals, Guitar, Piano, Bells, Trumpet...& maybe other instruments replace some of those 6) Load song Etc.

5) Then section by section, bit by bit of song I get all those different categories filled......I for one use 1 or these two options. "Beat Wizard & Wave Form".....I rely on Wave Form especailly on good beat songs.

6) Then I start one display item at a time. Get 15 channel tree 1 sequenced, then 15 channel tree 2 sequenced, then 16 channel Marty Fan 1 sequenced & so on.  Anyhow this part of sequencing goes fast compared to getting all those categories filled. If I do not want to add each word into the sequence for a singing tree (for example) then I take the short cut & put groups of words together.... example "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" ( I put a fade up) "Let nothing you dismay"   (I put a fade down) ....now this technique worked well for my 16 channel fans & even my mini trees (I had 16 mini trees 2 colours, then I lowered it to 8 mini trees 2 colours. 

There may be other things but that is my basic method.

Pretty much the same as most others, but I use the VU Wizard for vocals in a song, doesn't always work out, but in most cases it's pretty darn close, then I clean up the vocal track{s} and copy them to their respective props that will emulate any singing.    I don't have singing faces with mouth or eye movements, I currently just use blowmolds or single lighted wireframes for vocal options.    One of these days I'll get it more sophisticated, like some others do here with the actual mouth and eye movements, but for now, my way serves me just fine.

I find that sequencing is never done. to an earlier point in this thread.  What I found has been the best tool to evaluate needed changes is to video your display, not with the intent of publishing to Youtube, but rather for you to sit back, watch repeatedly, and critique yourself, post-Christmas.  

This last season, I thought I had a killer finale sequence.  And, I still thought so until yesterday when I went back to review the video.  Now that my head is clear I could really see where problems were and the huge opportunities for improvement.  

The thing about watching it live, out on the street like we all do, is that the display can be so visually overwhelming with so many elements, that an overall critique of design is really difficult.  You really have to step back, and video allows me to do just that.

4. I personally sequence one element (or one group of related elements) at a time from beginning to end. Then select the next group of elements and repeat.

I tend to agree with George. Although I do all of my sequencing in Superstar, it's still a pattern as to which elements come first.

1. 16 x 50 Pixel tree comes first. This is one of the main elements in my display, so it goes first.

• This year I'm adding a 24 x 25, 360 degree pixel tree, so it will be second in the sequencing order

I then leave all effects in Superstar and import a different vis file, usually my 10 x 25 Pixel Burst and use the same effects, but modify to fit. This way, the effects will be similar but different in that the elements are totally different.

After that, it's like George says, like or similar elements come next. All 4 arches go together, 16 Coro Stars in 2 different areas if the display gets next go around. All windows get sequenced together. 

Grouping similar items together works real well. Yes you have to go through the song a blue million times, but for me, it's easier to keep up with a few items rather than try to do the full display at once.

When all elements are sequenced seperately, I then take all exported sequences and load them into my S3 channel config, and then I go to the visualizer. If I'm satisfied with the full sequence, It goes to 4 different places for backup, Dropbox, Skydrive, Thumb drive and then in the LOR sequence file on the show PC. Once all sequences are complete for the year, I also back them up on a DVD.

I can't stress enough to save and back-up your work,.......OFTEN!!!!!

I almost lost all of my show this year. As luck would have it, all sequences were backed up so I just went to one of the backups and retrieved them.