Light-O-Rama Forums

Windows 8

indi

• 4 months later...

Has anyone had problems taking sequences version 11.2 LOR done on Windows 7 system and loading to another PC with Windows 8.1 for editing also on 11.2 LOR, and then sending them back to the Windows 7 system for running shows?  Looking at a new desktop and they want $49 to load Windows 7.  If later I want 8.1 it's going to cost more and be a big hassle.  Running the 8.1 machine in the windows 7 compatability mode looks to be a work around?  Thanks.

I am using 8.1 to sequence and run my shows with no problems. Don't know if it is backwards compatible.

I have problems with my sandevices e6804 with windows 8.It won't load the entire webpage. also this forum don't like windows 8. I can't cut and past links anymore. other problems to.

I have Windows 7 on my show PC and 8.1 on my laptop and both run v3.11.2 LOR software. I use both PCs for sequencing and share the sequences via Dropbox. I've had no issues whatsoever swapping sequences back and forth.

Edited by George Simmons

Are there different drivers for the USB required for Windows 8.1? If so, where would the need to be sourced from. Also along the lines of Audacity I recollect they had different drivers for each version of windows. Is it necessary to download them and redo your audio files for 8.1 or will audio files made from a Windows 7 system with 64 bit into MP3 work ok with the 8.1? Have a new machine on order and afraid it's going to take me several nights to get LOR and associated programs and drivers doing a handshake. Thanks for any additional info on what additional drivers need to be installed with 8.1...

My audio files date back from current to whatever version of Audacity and/or Windows existed during and since Jan, 2008.  All are MP3 encoded and saved at a 128 Kbps constant bitrate as LOR recommends.  Never had an issue with any audio (beyond a corrupt MP3 file once) with any Windows or LOR S2/S3 version.

I needed no other drivers for LOR to run in either Windows 8 or 8.1.  I did load the USB485 drivers from LOR so I was sure I could run the show from the 8.1 laptop if it became necessary, but I have no idea if they were needed - I just did it out of habit.

Okay here goes. I have a dell windows XP running my light show. I bought a hp all in one desk top touch screen for my gunsmith business and starting to like it. thinking of replacing the XP. How would I move everything from xp to the windows 8.1?????? Does everything on xp work on 8.1????? Do I have to redo all my songs?????????????? Help

I did the same. All I did was email the sequences to my self a couple at a time as if I would have shared them with someone. Opened and saved. Looks and worked just like on xp.

• Like 1

The new PC with Windows 7, or 8 will need to have the drivers loaded for your USB Adapter. Make sure that you go to the LOR firmware update site and get the version 2.08.30 and install these. You will need to run the installer before you connect a USB Adapter. You only have to do this once on the newer laptop, or desktop. There is also a help sheet on USB problems that you can download from LOR to walk you thru the screens. Once you have the driver installed, you still need to open up your devices window and associate the driver to the PC. Until you see the COM port listed by the adapter in the devices your not done. This is a good time of year to check all your software versions on your LOR controllers, Light Linkers, anything and make sure they are the most up to date. All the downloads are on the www1.lightorama.com/firmware-updates/ page. If you are running E1.31 or DMX you may have some additional work to do.

• Like 1

I built a new PC to run my show this year.  I am debating weather I should run Windows 7 or 8.1?  8.1 sounds good and bad at the same time.  I have hardly used Windows 8.1 any suggestions?

Even with the post I had at the first of the thread, the issues I did have with Win 8.1 (driver issues, finding the stupid program) I always ran it in desktop mode. As mentioned, Pin those LOR .exe programs you use (sequencer, show editor, etc.) down on the bottom menu. That way you can find them.

If you can find a Win7 machine...get it.  Then make the jump to Win9 when that comes out. Otherwise if your going to use Win8.1, get it, play with it, make sure all your drivers you need are there and working. Seems like most people will wait till "Show Time!" to see if the thing works or not.

As I said, it works fine...after you work through the "getting use to it" stage :-)

• 2 months later...

Last year I had LOR on WIndows 8 and it seemed to work flawlessly.  This year i have a new HP desktop (faster than the laptop) that has Windows 8.1 on it.  Both Zararadio and LOR are not running now.  LOR sequence editor will load the sequence, but when i attempt to play the sequence, it hangs completely.  Has anyone else had this same problem with LOR?  I am running 3.8.2

Last year I had LOR on WIndows 8 and it seemed to work flawlessly.  This year i have a new HP desktop (faster than the laptop) that has Windows 8.1 on it.  Both Zararadio and LOR are not running now.  LOR sequence editor will load the sequence, but when i attempt to play the sequence, it hangs completely.  Has anyone else had this same problem with LOR?  I am running 3.8.2

I am using Windows 8.1 and it lets me do everything my Windows 7 machine did. I haven't had any problems with Windows 8.1. Although, I think LOR is in a different directory. I haven't ran a show withy it yet. I am using the lastest LOR software. I think it is 3.11.2. Not at the house on my computer to check.

I've had no issues whatsoever with LOR and Windows 8.1.  Although having said that, it's been quite a while since I've run 3.8.2 and I never tried running it on Windows 8 or 8.1.