Light-O-Rama Forums

FS: Two new CMB24D DC cards and 360W 30A Power Supplies

mattpatt

Hi All,

I purchased these last year and had planed on using them for my 2013 Christmas display but then a little thing called triple bypass surgery happened and everything got put on hold so they never got used.  I have decided that I would like to go in a different direction for this year and need to free up some funds.  I have for sale two brand new CMB24D DC cards and two 360W 30A power supplies that I purchased from ebay.  Would like to get $200 shipped for everything.

1C1511DA-5C23-46E9-95D6-98A20D947C29_zps

247A9C18-D03F-414B-BBD5-3905C054B65D_zps

Thanks,

Matt

So sorry to hear about your procedure, I hope it went well.  I notice on the board it appears to have two power inputs? Does this mean you can have two power supplies running to the board?

The reason I'm asking is that the use of RGB sounds interesting but I would have to run the RGB ribbon about 25-30 feet from the controller. From what I heard you could lose voltage and then the ribbon wouldn't work right. I'm wondering if a person added a second power supply and ran a bigger wire (16 gage) from the controller to the ribbon if that would help?

I don't have any equipment yet, just researching ideas.

Eric

So sorry to hear about your procedure, I hope it went well.  I notice on the board it appears to have two power inputs? Does this mean you can have two power supplies running to the board?

The reason I'm asking is that the use of RGB sounds interesting but I would have to run the RGB ribbon about 25-30 feet from the controller. From what I heard you could lose voltage and then the ribbon wouldn't work right. I'm wondering if a person added a second power supply and ran a bigger wire (16 gage) from the controller to the ribbon if that would help?

I don't have any equipment yet, just researching ideas.

Eric

25-30' on 18g stranded wire is no problem.  Trying to solder 16g wire to ribbon, you're asking for problems, easy to bridge connections!  The number of power supplies needed just depends on your load.  You can have several power supplies on a board or several boards powered by one supply.

The board has 2 power inputs. One side powers channels 1-12, the other powers channels 13-24.

I power mine with one power supply, one power lead and a small jumper that connects the input posts together.

Eric,

Several things to keep in mind when sizing the proper size power supply. You need to get the right voltage first, right. Then  you need to know how many amps total all of your loads will need. Lets say you need 15 amps at 12 volts. I would try to find a power supply rated for 20 amps. In watts that would be no more that say 250 watts.  Putting 600 watts on the controller when your load is only 180 watts aint going to do anything for you, other than take your money. The easiest way to control what is called IR drop is as you have noted is larger gage wire. But as scubado noted, physically you only have so much room to intsall those wires. So, install power wires on both ends from the power supply and if that is not enough. Run large wire like 16 gauge and then step down to 18 gauge, then that to the strip. Or get several DC to DC supplies that take say 24VDC to 12 VDC. Though adding in more devices, increases the potential for failures.

Thank you so much for the help, as you can tell I am very new to this. I haven't even purchased any controllers yet because I want to figure out what I'm doing.  I really like the idea of RGB lighting because it can be used in so many lighting displays,  no need to purchase strands of lights in a certain color.

I didn't even think about having less room to connect a 16 gage wire to the ribbon and having the wires touch.

So here is my basic plan:

I want to run 2 ribbons on my roofline. One is probably about 16 feet so I'll us a full length ribbon. The other is about 25 feet so I'll have to extend the ribbon. The ribbons will run about 30 feet from my controller, I have no way to make this shorter.

One the same controller I want to run 5 RGB floods that LOR sells here, I believe they are 10 watt.  The floods will be about 20 feet from the controller.  I need to figure out how I can do this without the voltage drop.  How can I power the RGB ribbon from both ends? Would this be the best way? What is I use 16 gage wire maybe from the controller, and then step it down to one of the 18-20 gage pigtails?

That brings me to the controller and power supply.....

Creative Lights has the controller already mounted in an enclosure with the power supply. It said that the power supply gets hot and that you may have to crack the door of the enclosure open. Well that's a problem for me because I live in Oregon where it will be exposed to rain, even though I'll have the controller under the eves of the house. LOR has a waterproof power supply, and I thought maybe I'd put the card in a bigger enclosure.  Help!

If anyone could recommend a power supply, how to run the wires with less voltage drop, etc..  I just really don't know what 'm doing but want to try it.  I've been reading posts and trying to gather what information I can.

Sorry if I interrupted a different post, but I would really appreciate and help/advice.

If anyone wants to come over and just set it all up for me I'll take you fishing LOL..

Eric

• 1 month later...

That brings me to the controller and power supply.....

Creative Lights has the controller already mounted in an enclosure with the power supply. It said that the power supply gets hot and that you may have to crack the door of the enclosure open. Well that's a problem for me because I live in Oregon where it will be exposed to rain, even though I'll have the controller under the eves of the house. LOR has a waterproof power supply, and I thought maybe I'd put the card in a bigger enclosure.  Help!

Check out this post. I resolved the door open issue.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/31167-cmb24d-rgb-controller-v2-vent-added/

• The topic was locked