Light-O-Rama Forums

Dumb RGB Ribbon and 10w Flood on same CMB24D controller

cgreenfield

I Have a few questions about the CMB24D controller and the pixels it is compatable with.

• How many extensions can you put on one of the Dumb Ribbons from the LOR store?
  • How many extensions can you put on one of the 10 watt floods from the LOR store?
  • Can you use two different types of pixels on one CMB24D controller?

Best Regards,
-Chris-
:)

First off, Welcome to the forum & To the world of LOR! Your brave to jump directly into RGB but I'm sure you'll have a blast! From what I know, you can use up to 60 AMPS on one controller, so that's a-lot of LED's!

I'm not an electrician or a math major so I may be wrong, but the watts of a fixture are determined by Volts x Amps, so you can reverse that formula if you only have Volts & Watt Figures, (Watts ÷ Volts = Amps) So that must mean that a 12V 10 Watt RGB Flood = .83 Amps. So it means that If you have 2, 12V, 30A Power Supplies you can run 72 LOR RGB Floods off a single CMB24D. 

With the The LOR LED Ribbons, they take 20 Watts, so 1.7 Amps. So that's 35 Ribbons on a single controller. 

I hope this is the answer to the question your asking, 

1. Each Channel can handle 4 Amps, so a single RGB Channel (4 Channels [R,G,B, +] = 1 RGB Channel) can run a circuit of LEDs totaling 16 Amps MAX, So you can connect 9 Ribbons to a single channel. But this only leaves you 14 amps for the renaming 3 RGB Channels @ 4.6A Each

2. Again 1 RGB Channel = 16 Amps MAX, so around 18 Floods on a single RGB Channel. Again considering you don't overload the rest. 

3. I don't see why not. As long as all the LEDs run on the same current (12 Volts in this case), you can run any LED item you desire as long as you stay within your power restrictions.

Hope this helped. 

Thanks for the quick reply! I have actually been doing LOR for 3 years now but i just made a forum account. I've just been asking a family member to post for me before. But back on topic I was actually wondering how many extension wires can you can put in between the controller and the light string (i'm referring to questions 1 and 2). 

Best Regards,
-Chris-
:)

Not exactly sure how long you can make the extension without having a large voltage drop. Just as a suggestion, you know you can use 4 conductor Speaker wire & solder them on? You can save some money...  

Here is a link for the 4 conductor wire I use (works great) from Mono Price.

http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=4+conductor+speaker+wire

I solder it to 4 condutor waterproof connecters (even for 3 conductor 6811 pixels and stripes)  here is a link for them  Holiday Coro http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/631.htm

I have made some that were 25 feet with the 18 gauge.. Of course if you are making long ones you will need the heavier gauge wire to reduce voltage drop.

• The topic was locked