Light-O-Rama Forums

Big Venue

ic1480

Ok, so here goes,   First off, I am a Noobie.    large farmstead in far north North Dakota.  Wife wants lights,  I'll give her lights.  

Thinking on doing 30 spruce trees 20ft tall.  15 on each side of driveway. They are perpendicular to drive, not parallel.  Viewing location is 600ft +or- a few feet.

My thought is to use three different color net lights.  ie   Red White Green.  all zip tied together on each tree.  My thought is this will be easier to put up and take down than stings.

I realize I will need two or three 4x8 tri color nets per tree interconnected.  Thus using three channels per tree, Red Green and White channels respectively.

Next thought

CCR leaping/chasing arches.   16 footers as that is the length of the CCRs.   Do they require one LOR channel or more??

As you look up the drive you can see only the face of the large shop and the small garage side by side, between the spruce trees.  so will outline the gable end of each building with, um,  um,  something that lights up.

Also have a lowered barn with a cupella that is visible from the viewing location.  Thinking of a large star attached here utilizing 1-3 channels.

One of my main concerns is the distance from the viewing location.  I feel everything will have to be supersized or it will just look miniaturized(?) The farmstead is approx. 1000' across the front.  can do a lot but not wanting to overwhelm myself and family.

I thank everyone here for all the interesting and educational posts.    Skol

LOR CCR is 150 channels each as I remember it. 50 nodes with 3 Pixels per node. Each pixel is 3 colors, Red, Blue, Green.  So 50 times 3 colors is 150 channels. But remember each CCR comes with its own controller. Might want to outline those two buildings with Dumb RGB strips or bulbs.

Ok, so here goes,   First off, I am a Noobie.    large farmstead in far north North Dakota.  Wife wants lights,  I'll give her lights.  

Thinking on doing 30 spruce trees 20ft tall.  15 on each side of driveway. They are perpendicular to drive, not parallel.  Viewing location is 600ft +or- a few feet.

My thought is to use three different color net lights.  ie   Red White Green.  all zip tied together on each tree.  My thought is this will be easier to put up and take down than stings.

I realize I will need two or three 4x8 tri color nets per tree interconnected.  Thus using three channels per tree, Red Green and White channels respectively.

Next thought

CCR leaping/chasing arches.   16 footers as that is the length of the CCRs.   Do they require one LOR channel or more??

As you look up the drive you can see only the face of the large shop and the small garage side by side, between the spruce trees.  so will outline the gable end of each building with, um,  um,  something that lights up.

Also have a lowered barn with a cupella that is visible from the viewing location.  Thinking of a large star attached here utilizing 1-3 channels.

One of my main concerns is the distance from the viewing location.  I feel everything will have to be supersized or it will just look miniaturized(?) The farmstead is approx. 1000' across the front.  can do a lot but not wanting to overwhelm myself and family.

I thank everyone here for all the interesting and educational posts.    Skol

What you may want is here: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/30695-it-is-all-for-sale-in-one-big-lot-only/

thank you for your replies.

If I understand you Max Paul.  the CCRs each have their own controller not run off a LOR 1602??

Thank you Ken for the suggestion,  not sure I am ready to spend that much all at once, or drive to Cali. at this point.  It would be a nice package though.

On those spruce trees, forget white. Go with red green and blue. That becomes a home made dumb rgb. When you want the trees white, turn on all three colors.

When you want the trees white, turn on all three colors.

Uh Bob, I think that would be multi color, not white, IF going with red, green and blue strands.

Skol,

Welcome aboard this crazy forum.

Can you provide a pic of the area you are talking about? Maybe from the viewing area where patrons will be looking from?

when you click on reply, in the bottom right corner is a button that says MORE REPLY OPTIONS then click on CHOOSE FILES  read the description for limits

If you tie the actual red, green, and blue bulbs into a single clump (bouquet?), they become a defacto pixel. Stand 600 feet away, fire all three up and it looks white. Try it. :)

Each CCR comes with its own controller which you daisy chain together as you would any normal LOR controller, If I understand correctly you are facing all those trees? I could imagine some crazy chase sequences going back and forth or even duelling banjos over both sides of your driveway. If your spruce are thick enough and you only intend to view the show from down your driveway you might consider just using light strings and doing 1/2-3/4 of the tree that is being viewed vs doing the whole tree. I'd also be curious what say 15-20 3-4 channel mini trees on both sides of a long driveway would look as well.  Pretty cool I bet, also check out superstar lights for a 6 ch DIY star, I'm happy with mine....

If you tie the actual red, green, and blue bulbs into a single clump (bouquet?), they become a defacto pixel. Stand 600 feet away, fire all three up and it looks white. Try it. :)

I thought about doing this. But after spending i-don't-know-how-many-hours just zip-typing the strings together (to make simple super-strings) i can't imagine how long it will take to actually align them and zip tie them together closely enough to get this effect. 

I will have to look at my camera or some image editor to resize the photo to get it down to the 500kps to fit. 

yes 600', its out in the country,  a Farmstead that is twelve acres in size.  anyone want to help mow the lawn.  lol

I am hoping to use light linkers from the PC in the house to eliminate cabling across the driveway as I have power sources close (relative) to the actual controller locations

The alignment of the three nets does not have to be perfect,  just lay the three color nets on top of each other and zip tie away.  Due to the distance from viewing area, you wont even see them during the day.

Only facing the trees with net lighting.  No need to see them from inside the yard.

REAL channel burners though.