Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Placement?

MikeERWNC

I have started building out my show for next year.

This year I ran 15 extension cords under my driveway.

Next year I plan on running power to the front of my yard.

I want to put two LOR out front behind my picket fence.

How do you guys hide your LORs from plain view?

I am not comfortable with 600.00 sitting in front of so many eyes.

I was thinking wrapping some big Christmas packages and stacking them around the post where the LORs will be mounted.

Maybe a gingerbread house?

Let's see some pictures of what you have.

In my old houses I had the majority of the controllers stashed under the bushes, with black trash bags over them.

Never had a problem. 

I use the Black bags over the top also, because I was hoping to help keep the rain and snow off of the cords along with hiding them in the bushes.

Mine are hid in bushes covered by black trash bags with a chain and paddle lock around the LOR stands and trunks of the bushes. So far, no issues or signs of any attempt to steal them.

Your average person has no idea what the controller is or is worth.  I have never heard of one being stolen.  With that said, I put my controllers behind bushes or props as close to where they are needed as possible.  I hide them not for security but for looks.  I have 3 inside my mega tree around the pole; can't really hide them but it keeps the extension cord runs short! 

I put this one in a tub that I painted black.  Most of my controllers mount to something like the porch or the mega tree.  I had one controller on a stand in the middle of the yard next to my arches.  Like was said before, most people don't know what they are.  To them it;s just an electrical box with cords coming out of it.

I have a bunch that get painted with a mix of flat brown and flat green, and get scratched up in handling every year. If they look like they have no value, they are a lot less of a target than if they are nice, clean, and tidy. Plus bolting them to fence posts that take a post puller to pull also slows things down.

I paint the backs of them black (the side that faces the viewers).  Otherwise they are staked in frozen ground, padlocked shut and to a cable, and the other end of the cable goes to something fixed.  I place them behind something where possible just for visual aesthetics, not security.

To most people controllers just look like an electrical junction box, if they notice them at all.

Not hidden by anything, depending on display, Halloween or Christmas, they may be directly in front of my house or within the display itself.  Just staked into ground via metal poles, wooden stakes or mounted on a homemade controller stand, all are padlocked, not for security so much, but to keep someone from opening one and getting themselves electrocuted since their is 120VAC running inside the controller and out to the dangles.  Not painted, although I have considered painting the grey LOR boxes black, but, again, not so much for security, just to hide them within the display.

Mega tree controllers padlocked to the mega tree tower

DSC04980_zps7aa6a419.jpg

Other controllers chained to trees, hidden behind bushes or mounted in the garage.

All outdoor controllers painted black.

• The topic was locked