Light-O-Rama Forums

My Walmart experience

TheJackal

2 days after Christmas, I passed by Walmart and was shocked at what I found left. I bought 91 boxes of mini's, nets, C7 and C9 lights at 50% off. When I went food shopping today, I noticed there was still Christmas stuff still available. So I moved in for a closer look. 75% off everything!! But, what could I possibly find over a week later. Score!! 40 boxes of multi minis and 2 boxes of icicle lights. The lady at the register suggested I bring back the 91 boxes I bought to get the extra 25% refunded. But, would this work you ask? I carried in the store 1 of each I bought, along with a list detailing how many of each (I had them in the car, just in case). She managed to print out the receipts of the purchases from the 27th (I threw mine out) and refund me the 25%.

****NOTE**** After refunding me the 25%, the manager, who would have to sign off on this, told the lady this is not allowed.....but, since it was already done, let it go. But, nobody else can do this and to pass the information to the other customer service people.

I wasn't going to argue with her. But, in hindsight, I would have asked her 'Would it have made a difference if I returned the lights and then repurchased them??

Someone told me I should do that... But It didn't feel right.

I am happy paying 50% off.

I hope your cashier didn't get in too much trouble.

Nah, she didn't get in trouble. The manager could have just deleted the transaction. I wouldn't have even considered it had the cashier for my food trip not suggested it.

I was wondering if you gave up on the hobby,  even tried to PM you to see what you were up to with your display.  Post or PM me, I'm curious what you did for a display.  Did you go see Kip's?

I was wondering if you gave up on the hobby,  even tried to PM you to see what you were up to with your display.  Post or PM me, I'm curious what you did for a display.  Did you go see Kip's?

Nope....sent PM

Yep I took advantage of this sale also purchasing 20 boxes of white and 20 multi.  We went the day before when they were 50% off and an someone there gave us the heads up about the 75% markdown coming the next day.

Yep I hit all 3 Walmart's in town and got 250 boxes of lights at 75% off. Red clear and multi colored and then to top it off I found 4 controllers on craigslist for $300.

... and then to top it off I found 4 controllers on craigslist for $300.

Um, that is WAY to good of a deal (at least IMHO).  Perhaps you can post a link to the Craigslist ad and have the fine people here look at it?

Um, that is WAY to good of a deal (at least IMHO).  Perhaps you can post a link to the Craigslist ad and have the fine people here look at it?

The add is not on craigslist anymore because I bought them. The controllers were all new in 2007. What would you be able to tell about the controllers just by looking at the add?

The add is not on craigslist anymore because I bought them. The controllers were all new in 2007. What would you be able to tell about the controllers just by looking at the add?

The users around here are very good at picking out scammers.  Did you already get the controllers, or are you waiting for them to be delivered?

That is kind of what I thought. The guy I got them from said the only thing wrong with them is on one of the controllers one of the cat 5 jacks dose not work so he just uses it as the last controller 

2 days after Christmas, I passed by Walmart and was shocked at what I found left. I bought 91 boxes of mini's, nets, C7 and C9 lights at 50% off. When I went food shopping today, I noticed there was still Christmas stuff still available. So I moved in for a closer look. 75% off everything!! But, what could I possibly find over a week later. Score!! 40 boxes of multi minis and 2 boxes of icicle lights. The lady at the register suggested I bring back the 91 boxes I bought to get the extra 25% refunded. But, would this work you ask? I carried in the store 1 of each I bought, along with a list detailing how many of each (I had them in the car, just in case). She managed to print out the receipts of the purchases from the 27th (I threw mine out) and refund me the 25%.

****NOTE**** After refunding me the 25%, the manager, who would have to sign off on this, told the lady this is not allowed.....but, since it was already done, let it go. But, nobody else can do this and to pass the information to the other customer service people.

I wasn't going to argue with her. But, in hindsight, I would have asked her 'Would it have made a difference if I returned the lights and then repurchased them??

Actually most often when things are MARKED down for "CLEARANCE", they usually, in just about all cases ARE NOT RETURNABLE or REFUNDABLE!  It is a buy as is type deal and once you've bought them, you're stuck with them.   The lady apparently did not know store or company policy on this, someone sure did not train her correctly or she would never have even mentioned doing such a thing.

Having worked in retail management, even though you think she didn't get into any trouble, I can assure you she got a little talking to from the manager at the end of her shift for doing what she did.  She may say she didn't, but would you tell the customer you got into trouble after doing that for them?  Not very likely.   And I'm sure management also put her back through some retraining so she doesn't ever do that again, because the next time it could cost her her job.    I know, I've had to fire employees for telling customers to return what they bought on Clearance to get a better deal because things dropped in price another 25% to 40% off.    However, with my being a store manager, it didn't happen, and I apologized to the customer telling them, I'm sorry the item{s} you purchased were on a clearance sale and company policy is no refunds or returns on any clearance item, even if the item turns out to be defective, no refund or return on clearance sales.  The customer would need to take up any defects with the manufacturer of the item{s}.   And the employee definitely got reprimanded and retrained to not do it again.

• 3 weeks later...

I've bought 'flats' of LED lights from Walmart over the last several weeks. From 50% to 75% off.

Lots of C7s, C9s, and the 50 pack of White LED's.  yes. FLATS.. Each flat holds between 24-32 boxes. So I think i've bought 6k of LED lights this month from Walmart. Their stockers appreciate they dont have to send them back!

Being one American who absolutely hates Wal-Mart, I tried out their return policy for 2013.

I purchased 72 boxes of White LED net lights in 2012 after Christmas.

I needed some red LED to  finish my trim.

Four boxes of net lights went in a Wal-Mart bag, I told them I bought too many.

They gave me a gift card, I went to the garden center and traded the gift card for eight boxes of RED 50 count LED.

2012 LED boxes were the same as the 2013 LED boxes the only difference I saw was the copyright date on the bottom.

The UPC's matched and that is all which matters.

Our Walmart is run by a complete moron. The manager put everything at 50% off for 3 days, then wrote all the rest off and removed it all to the back. And the employees wondered why they didnt get a  bonus. My wife works there, she had a hard time explaining to people why they took everything off the shelves. They lost some where in the neighborhood of 25k + in sales.

We have four Wally World locations within 25 miles of us. None of them has discounted beyond 75% this year and three of the four still have stuff on their shelves as of two days ago.

I did find one manager who still had almost a full end-cap of candy canes and she gave me a very nice deal (not quite 90% off, but real close) to take all of them. (Wound up a little over 200 dozen.) The deal almost blew up over the cherry-flavored ones, though. She really wanted to get rid of them too and I offered her a penny per dozen. She looked at me and said: "are you serious?" I looked at her and smiled and said "No, I was just giving you a hard time. I actually wouldn't want them if they were free."

Edited by George Simmons

Are some people still living in the 70s?? ALL stores take clearance merchandise back as returns now a days (and you don't even need a reason). The old days of not taking a clearance item back as return hasn't been around in 2 decades.

Interesting read. I hear all the time about folks who don't like Walmart, yet they continue to shop there..

Orville, so you fired employees (more than one) for telling a customer to return a clearance item for a better deal? Given that some of these employees may depend on their paycheck to meet their family's financial obligations that seems a bit harsh to me, don't you think?

Greg