Light-O-Rama Forums

Punks came visiting

djr

Has to be teenagers, so sad they do this type of stuff. Sorry it happen to you. Last year I had several strings of lights cut I was very upset

Papa

This brings up another thought I had concerning theft. Maybe lor can do this, put it in the software so that if any controller in the network gets disconnected it will sound an alarm on the show pc (assuming you keep that pc in the house) I think this would be great not only for theft protection but also diagnosis. Ie a bad cat5.

This brings up another thought I had concerning theft. Maybe lor can do this, put it in the software so that if any controller in the network gets disconnected it will sound an alarm on the show pc (assuming you keep that pc in the house) I think this would be great not only for theft protection but also diagnosis. Ie a bad cat5.

Do a little searching on the forum.  There is a pair in the Cat-5 cable that passed through each controller, but does nothing.  By looping that pair, you can hook it to an alarm system and will detect the loop being broken.

Did you have any high winds overnight?   5 displays in one night seems to be a bit excessive in one area, even for a bunch of rowdy teens.   usually they'll only hit one or two.

Looks like high winds could have possibly done all the damage, again, just speculating on my part, but does seem strange they'd hit that many displays in one neighborhood.

Usually they may hit one or 2, and then skidoo to another neighborhood in another area, which may be close by.

Anyway, high winds or vandalism, sorry to see it happened to your display.

p.s. this is where video surveillance would definitely help, then you'd know exactly what did happen, well, unless the high winds took out the cameras before it happened.

Kind of hard for the wind to pull 1 1/2 feet of rebar out of the ground. But thanks anyway Orville.

There is video just a dark P/U truck and hooded figures. But again thanks.

I don't know about that, I've seen some heavy things pulled out of the ground and knocked over, or carried into a yard 1 or 2 houses down, and that right here in Florida  where I live by high/heavy winds, and you wouldn't think those items would come up out of the ground either.   If something is attached to it, winds can pull it out.

Like said, I just find it rare that that many homes would be hit in the same neighborhood, didn't say it didn't happen, and also said it was speculation on my part.  

I couldn't tell by the photo if there was rebar on the ground, just looked like a lot of fallen mini Christmas trees that may have blown over in a windstorm and lights dangling on the sign could come from the same result of winds.

I wasn't there, didn't see it, and I'd think if kids we're ripping up the display like that, SOMEONE in at least one of those homes hit, would have HEARD something, after all, when I'm pulling up something I staked down hard, I'm making grunting and groaning sounds trying to get it out of the ground, as well as making noise pulling it out of the ground.  Kind of why I said possibly high winds could have done the damage.

Again, not saying it couldn't have been vandals, anything is possible.

But thanks anyway Orville.

There is video just a dark P/U truck and hooded figures. But again thanks.

just saying

when I'm pulling up something I staked down hard, I'm making grunting and groaning sounds trying to get it out of the ground, as well as making noise pulling it out of the ground.  

Well sure, your old and out of shape, you have to groan and grunt. :P   I can not see wind pulling rebar out of the ground and he said he had a video showing idiots there.

Do a little searching on the forum. There is a pair in the Cat-5 cable that passed through each controller, but does nothing. By looping that pair, you can hook it to an alarm system and will detect the loop being broken.

the way I see it is if the hardware utility can detect and send signals to each controller it should be able to tell if one (or more) is disconnected and sound a alarm on the pc.i think that would be a great feature for lor to offer.

and yes im sure its been discussed and no I didnt use the search feature because im just one of those stupid newbs.

The lights will be on tonight. I'll be short a few trees but I'll not be stopped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lights on @ 5:30 p.m.

I Feel your pain.  Last year I started putting the Deer on the roof.  I was getting tired of waking up to find them in the "Nature Channel" position.  They look better up there anyway.

Two years ago during our Mini we had someone give a presentation on "Display Security."  You think you've had it bad... not only did he have issues with people in his display messing with things... but he relayed a story of a time someone was SHOOTING AT HIS DISPLAY!!!  And YES his display was surrounding his home and they were inside...ACK!!!   

I tell you what dont give in!!! I almost did in the being of this year had my controllers stolen. invest in some video cameras.

Sometimes, a simple sign that reads, "Smile, You're on camera" will stop the vandalism.  Especially in more complicated displays, who can tell where cameras are, or aren't?  Cheap and simple.