Light-O-Rama Forums

Any tricks or tips for wrapping/storing SPT-2 cords?

lowepg

I have about 200 SPT-2 cords that I didnt have last year that I now need to wrap and store...

Any suggestions on good ways to wrap/wind/store them?

My previous technique was limited to wrapping between hand and elbow- assuming thats not going to be idea for all these to keep them tangle-free...

Just wrap around your hand, and plug them into themselves.

Wow!!   Your hands have plugs??   How convenient for doing lights.

The orange cord reels at Lowes of HD.

I have 200 cords.... not sure how to best use a cord reel for them?

I have 200 cords.... not sure how to best use a cord reel for them?

btw- average lengths are 12-20 feet

Just wrap around your hand, and plug them into themselves.

Then zip tie them to keep them from tangling with each other, keep them in a rubbermaid tub or hang them on a hook of some sort.

I like the cord reel idea also, plug the cords together until you get enough to fill each cord reel, wrap them around the cord reel,  tie off the last end, and you are done.

Or find someone with a leftover reel from a 1000ft of cord, plug the cords end to end and wrap all of them around the reel.

Stop by Lowes or Home Depot electrical department.  There are usually a couple of empty or near empty cable spools on the rotating rack.  They are more than happy to give them to you (they dont have to carry to back dumpster).  If you have a repore with them, they will save a couple during the week for you.

Elec cords or lights fit great on them. 

• Like 1

I KNOW THIS DOESN'T HAVE TO DO WITH STORAGE BUT SOMETHING THAT WILL HELP YOU WITH NEXT YEAR IS

EITHER NUMBER YOUR CORDS (IE-1 BUSHES 2 ROOF 3 ARCHES AND SO ON AND SO ON) --BUT BE SURE THAT WHEN

YOU WRITE THEM DOWN THAT YOU DON'T FORGET WHERE YOU PUT THE BOOK AND CAN'T REMEMBER LAST YEAR. LESSON

LEARNED. OR COLOR CODE YOUR CORDS. GET SOME COLORED ELEC TAPE AND USE THAT TO CODE YOUR CORDS. SAY

3FT OR LESS IS RED, 5FT BLUE, 10FT GREEN, 20FT YELLOW AND SO ON.

YOU WILL BE AMAZED HOW MUCH TIME YOU WILL SAVE NEXT YEAR IF YOU KNOW WHAT # 4 IS FOR OR IF YOU NEED A

15FT CORD THAT YOU JUST NEED TO GRAB AN ORANGE.

I MY SELF USE MILK CRATES, SOME THINGS ARE NUMBERED BUT SOME CRATES HAVE UP TO 5FT CORDS AND THE NEXT ONE

IS 10 TO 20FT. IT DEFINITELY HELPS ME.

Although I haven't done a LOR display yet I am no stranger to dealing with 100's of extension cords. I learned a process called a roofers wrap years ago. It's impossible to explain how to do it but it makes it impossible for the cords to tangle no matter how you store them. To unwrap them you simply hold one end and throw the cord and it unwraps flawlessly EVERY time. Have an old roofer show you how to do it.