Light-O-Rama Forums

Using LOR controllers in a DMX universe

iflights

This document does an excellent job of describing the channel set up when using an LOR controller in a DMX universe.

http://www1.lightorama.com/Documents/DMX-DOC.pdf

What I don't understand is how to you set the Universe the controller's channels should be responding to.

Am I not seeing/reading something correctly?

Thanks for the help in advance.

It you are running less than 32 regular controllers (or 512 channels total), you only need one universe.

Each DMX universe needs either a separate USB dongle or use the E1.31 protocol out of your Ethernet jack.

Thanks, that makes sense.  So if I get a E1.31 to DMX bridge, essentially the universe programmed to the DMX output connector the LOR controller is plugged into will define the universe for that controller.    

Didn't think of it fitting together like that for some reason, but makes total sense now.  Thanks Ken.

Thanks, that makes sense.  So if I get a E1.31 to DMX bridge, essentially the universe programmed to the DMX output connector the LOR controller is plugged into will define the universe for that controller.    

Didn't think of it fitting together like that for some reason, but makes total sense now.  Thanks Ken.

But I question the need to run the LOR controllers in DMX mode when they run beautifully on a LOR network.

When you run them in DMX mode, there will be a lot more network traffic than there would be in LOR mode.

And you wouldn't get the shimmer and twinkle effects to look as nice as if they were on a LOR network.

You CAN run both networks at the same time; many people already do.

The big advantage of an E1.31 network is to be able to drive pixels directly with the E1.31 controllers.