Light-O-Rama Forums

Unwanted compressed sequences created

ItsMeBobO

You can use the new Sequence Compressor tool to do this - once you're done sequencing everything, and set up your show, run the Sequence Compressor, point it at your show file (or your entire schedule), and it will make sure that everything in the show (or your entire schedule) is compressed.  When it later comes time for your show to actually start, the Show Player won't have to load any uncompressed sequences (except those that cannot be compressed - i.e. those with loops and those with tracks of different lengths).

Wow, thanks!  Can the Sequence compressor run via the command line?   I'm at work, or I'd look myself :)

Wow, thanks!  Can the Sequence compressor run via the command line?   I'm at work, or I'd look myself :)

Sorry, no, not at this time, though it's a good idea.

Well, I mean, you can certainly start it up from the command line, but all that will accomplish is starting up the GUI just the same as if you double clicked its icon or whatever.   There's nothing like "SequenceCompressor /show=MyShow.lss".

It's be great to see a command line version. We could set it to run in off hours and they'd always be up to date.

those with tracks of different lengths).

Sorry to take this off-topic, but I didn't even realize you could have tracks with different lengths until I did it accidentally last season.  Is there a good reason I'd ever want tracks of differing lengths, especially in a musical sequence?

Sorry to take this off-topic, but I didn't even realize you could have tracks with different lengths until I did it accidentally last season.  Is there a good reason I'd ever want tracks of differing lengths, especially in a musical sequence?

Well, in a musical sequence, you cannot.  Only animation sequences allow tracks of different length.  Also, only animation sequences allow loops.  Together, these two facts imply that all musical sequences are compressable.  The only sequences that are not compressable are (some) animation sequences.

As for why you might want two tracks of different length, perhaps you might want a couple animations that are in some sense distinct from each other but that you nonetheless want to run together.  For example maybe on one side of your yard you've got a tin soldier marching -- a very simple second-long animation with just his legs moving back and forth -- and on the other side you've got a more complicated twenty second-long snowball fight between a bunch of snowmen.  For some reason you only want either of these running when the other is also running. 

You could make a single twenty second-long sequence and copy and paste the tin soldier's movements a bunch of times, but alternatively you could make two different tracks, one twenty seconds long and the other one second long.